I would like some advice for my husband. I have an 8-month-old daughter and returned back to work 4 days a week back in December. To avoid paying high childcare costs my husband had informally spoken to his manager about changing his working pattern (was working Mon-Fri, but wanted to change to work Thur-Sun) so that he could look after our daughter whilst I was at work. He 'informally' informed them of this back in October and it was agreed. He has been working this new pattern since December, but was called into a meeting last week as they said it could not continue! He explained the situation regarding caring for his child and the right to request flexible working and they have now asked him to fill in a formal request. Can they now change their mind as we hadn't put in a written request or received their agreement in writing back in October?
I am currently on maternity leave and have applied to reduce my hours from full time to 25 hours a week. Another colleague in my office who does the exact same job as me has also asked to reduce her hours and even though no decision had been made on her application when mine went in, she has had her hours accepted on a tempory 3 month trial yet I have been refused mine. They have said that the hours left from me reducing and those of the other colleague (which amounts to 20 hours) does not warrant the cost and effort of training up a new employee part time and that we do not have adequate space within our department for another worker- even though there is adequate space and another colleague who also only works part time only works mornings so could desk share. They also said that we wouldn't meet targets if I went part time and that work could not be rota'd fairly. Why weren't these reasons also said to my colleague? They went on to say that while I have been off on my maternity leave, my work has been covered by my team leader which has meant that some of her own work has not been done and this is another reason they are refusing my request. I feel this is unfair as firstly I am not even there as I am on maternity leave and secondly, how they have arranged to cover my maternity leave is nothing to do with me, and if they haven't managed to fulfil some work then why have they agreed to my other colleague's request to go part time? They said that applications to go part time are "first come first served". I made it clear before I went on maternity leave that I would be wanting to return on a part time basis as we cannot afford full-time childcare and my husband is away working all week so I am our daughter's sole carer through the week. I feel when my colleague made her application, I should have been contacted to discuss my situation. If I cannot return full time which I cannot and therefore have to leave if my appeal is lost then they would have to pay to train up a new recruit anyway so how would that reason about the cost of employing hold up on appeal? Furthermore if they did employ another part time member of staff to do the 20 hours then all the other reasons they have used to refuse my request would be solved. They have also stated that when doing training it is done on a full time basis (which I knew about) and so part timers take the extra hours worked flexibly - they have said that I could not do this as it would impact even more on other staff members and stop us meeting deadlines, but how is it ok for the other part timers to do this but then refuse me the same right?
I have been working for my employer for the last 7 years continuously delivering good ratings. aAfter 5 years of employment I went on my 1st maternity leave and on return I asked for reduction of hours from full time 3 full days. Eventually this was granted. Upon my return to work I found out that I was expecting again so I worked for 5 months and had to go on another 52 weeks of maternity leave which is due to end in March. In October 2013 my company requested every employee on every level to come forward and apply for voluntary reduction of hours or voluntary redundancy. I responded to their request by requesting reduction of hours to 2 full days on Monday-Friday. I cannot do Saturdays due to childcare, but am happy to be relocated. This was refused. I appealed, but the experience was like an interrogation for at least gross missconduct. I was constantly being blocked and no matter what I tried to say it felt like was not good enough as if they wanted to wash their hands of me. Following the meeting a rejection letter appeared, which stated that not only did they uphold the rejection of the reduction of hours, but also it was stated that I now have no further right to appeal or to request flexible hours for the next 12 months. All this time I was convinced that when my mat leave is due to expire I would still have the opportunity to ask for a reduction of hours on the grounds of my childcare circumstances as normal. The rejection letter says otherwise. Surely they cannot just do that? My union rep advises me to challenge in writing the people who conducted my appeal. At no stage have I been offered any compromise, any alternatives or negotiations. I understood from the appeal meeting that the issue for them is that I cannot do Saturdays as they still expect 100% flexibility, which is illogical as I would not be asking for a reduction of hours and certain flexibility adjustments if I was 100% flexible. I have managed to book a meeting with my line manager next week, but how should I conduct this and can I bring a union rep?
When I came back from maternity leave in March 2012 I met with my line manager and we agreed that I was able to work any three days from Monday to Friday and finish no later than 5.35pm as nursery finishes at 6pm. He has since left and my new line manager has stated that this was just a verbal agreement and nothing was put in writing, so I now have to formally apply in writing for flexible working. He has also stated that he needs his managers flexible and to work Saturdays as that is the busiest day. Can he demote me if I can't be flexible and work Saturdays and at night? He also has stated that my flexible working doesn't have to be approved and it's not fair on other staff if I don't work nights and Saturdays. I would have to leave if flexible working was turned down.
I work at a hospital. I work full time (37.5 hours per week) as a Biomedical Scientist which includes the Out Of Hours (OOH) rota which is made up of Early, Late,Late-late, Night and Core shifts plus 2% on call. I have some health problems like significant osteoarthritis in my knees, osteopenia and osteporosis, back pain etc. etc. I am in constant pain while I am walking or standing. Recently, I appiled via a Flexible Working Application form to reduce my working hours to 30 per week. Unfortunately, my application has been refused on the grounds of detrimental effects on ability to meet service demand. Biomedical scientists are required to provide a 24 hour service - this request could be detrimental to provision of this OOH sevice. I am only asking for one core shift which is 7.5hrs. per week as I am suffering from severe knee pain. I am willing to work most of the hours. The counter proposal is to do 30 hrs per week but working on the OOH rota if required. I feel like this counter proposal could be worse if all 30hrs are OOH. I could be working a full time rota with less core shift. I will be constantly worrying if I accepted the counter proposal as I wouldn't know what rota i would be working as people are leaving constantly. I am sure my osteoarthritis is not going to get better as already it is significantly bad. I think I deserve to work as core shift as I can't walk.