Changing shift pattern: ask the expert

Changing shift pattern: ask the expert<br />

Your employer is seeking to change or vary your existing working hours. It is also seeking to take away some of the benefits you are used to receiving, like your travel expenses. It sounds as though they want you to agree to the changes although the bargaining position is slanted against you. You are being pressurised to consent to these changes yet you will be worse off because of the additional childcare costs and new hours.

Without being fully aware of all the facts and comments made, there may be potential claims available to you. However, I suggest that you obtain advice so that all the facts are available to the adviser.

You have also made a flexible working request to work term-time as your new childminder cannot care for your children in the holidays. I assume that you have made your flexible working request under the statutory right to request flexible working as contained in the Employment Act 2002. I am assuming that you prepared a detailed written application which not only specified your relationship to your child and your requested change to your working hours but also explained what effect your proposal may have on your employer’s business and your role and how it might be dealt with. I understand that your request has been rejected.

Dealing firstly with this request, under the law on flexible working your employer has a statutory duty to seriously consider your request. An application can only be refused on one or more of the following grounds:

1. burden of additional costs;

2. detrimental effect on ability to meet customer demands;

3. inability to reorganise work among existing staff;

4. inability to recruit additional staff;

5. detrimental impact on quality;

6. detrimental impact on performance;

7. insufficiency of work during the periods the employee proposes to work; and

8. planned structural changes.

If you believe that your request has not been properly considered you can appeal this decision under the flexible working procedure. I think that you may also have a claim for indirect sex discrimination as a result of the rejection of your term –time request- please see my comments below.

Dealing with the probing comments made by your employer in the context of your request; the potential unfair treatment by the forced change to your working hours and the rejection of your flexible working request, you may have claims for both direct and indirect sex discrimination under the Equality Act 2010 if you are able to establish that the unfair treatment was because of your sex and/or part-time status.

In order to make a claim for Direct Sex Discrimination, you would need to show that the comments made by your employer seem to indicate a bias against you as a mother- this will very much depend upon the facts.

It’s more likely that you may have a claim for Indirect Sex Discrimination. This is where an employer has applied a “provision, criterion or practice” which has the effect of disadvantaging one sex over another and for which there is no objective justification. In these types of case the discrimination is not necessarily overt but the effect of applying this provision is that there is a there is a disproportionate detrimental effect on employees of one sex. As a mother and woman, the changes to your working patterns will affect you detrimentally, particularly with the new childcare constraints.

In Indirect Sex Discrimination cases the employer has the opportunity to justify their decision- was there a good reason for taking that decision (known as objective justification). This will be dependent on the facts. In this case the employer will need to justify forcing the change in your shift patterns and also the rejection of your request.

You do not have to agree to the changes to your working patterns but your employer needs to explain to you the consequences of not agreeing. However, as this seems to be an unfair change, you can either arrange an informal meeting with your HR department and outline your concerns at this unfair treatment or you could raise a grievance under your employer’s grievance procedure. A grievance is a formal complaints procedure.

In any event I also suggest to seek independent advice, for the adviser to obtain the full facts and advise you.

Ruth Renton is the founder and director of Renton Associates Ltd, providing commercial and practical Employment Advice and Training in the Workplace. She is also a working mum of four kids – her biggest challenge! To contact Ruth for advice or training please email her on Her website is and she can be found on linkedin.

Related tags: Flexible Working

Have your say

Hi there.

I am in the process of filling out the flexible working form but am unsure what to write about how will my new working pattern effect my employer and colleagues. I used to work 3 on and 3 off any 3 consecutive days of the week but now I want to work Tuesday and Wednesday 9.30 to 4pm and Thursdays until 1pm

Editor: You need to think through what the implications might be for your employer and colleagues and whether they can cover the change in hours, etc. Basically this is designed to make you think through the request from the employer's point of view and anticipate any concerns they might have as flexible working is a two-way process.

Anonymous | Report this comment

Post a comment. For advice go to our Advice & Support page