We're sorry, but this job has now expired.
To search live jobs like this one click here.
Senior IT Architect
- Scotland: Stirlingshire
- IT and Internet
- Working Pattern:
- Full time
- Date Posted:
- Monday, 23rd July 2012
- Flexibility Offered:
- Job Ref:
Overall Job Purpose
Developing, maintaining and communicating elements of the IT Strategic Architecture which sets the target framework for all technology development and supports the delivery of the Prudential UK business strategy and operating model.
Delivery of a set of IT Roadmaps for their domains (in this case BI and Actuarial), which drive the organisation to the target architecture. Lead the development of plans and proposals to deliver IT Roadmap change and consequent transformation of the IT estate.
Lead the provision of strategic technology guidance and delivery of high-level technology solution designs for assigned projects on the UKIO Investment Plan, ensuring compliance with UK technology design standards and guidelines.
Lead the identification of technology opportunities and innovation within their domain, to ensure that the Prudential business is informed and best placed to maintain competitive positions in its marketplace.
The Senior IT Architect is responsible for setting the agenda and leading the transformation within their allocated areas of technical expertise (in this case BI and Actuarial).
There will be frequent engagement with both business & IT senior management teams, in a way that shapes thinking and raises the bar. The role will often need to 'run against the tide' and ensure that difficult and challenging positions are fully expressed so that the impact of Executive decision making is clear.
The job is a thought leadership position, where a significant role within Pru IT is undertaken to set a long-term agenda and drive forward transformation to ensure delivery.
Strong challenging behaviour is required in complex situations that require sensitivity and deep understanding of both technology & business context.
a) Architecture Definition
* The Senior IT Architect takes responsibility for managing and delivering a number of areas of the IT Architecture
* Ensure that their areas of responsibility are effectively managed / integrated with the other Architecture domains, including Business Architecture.
* Ensuring integration where appropriate between architecture and design, defining guidelines, patterns, and standards for each of our application technology environments.
b) Technology Leadership
* To provide guidance to programmes and projects, delivering a high level technical solution design that balances the overall strategic direction against the project objectives.
* To act as a subject matter expert across their assigned technology domains.
* To develop and maintain relationships with strategic external suppliers in order to ensure the two-way flow of appropriate information and knowledge to understand their product development strategy and apply this to the Strategic IT Architecture (i.e. application, infrastructure and data architectures) in addition to cascading this information to the rest of Pru IT.
* To maintain knowledge of industry trends and standards in order to understand technology direction and apply this to the Strategic IT Architecture in addition to cascading this information to the rest of Pru IT.
* To lead technology supplier and product selections in conjunction with Commercial Management.
* To prepare and deliver briefings and presentations for the Pru IT Executive and senior management.
c) IT Governance
* To lead the design authority boards that support both the Application Delivery and Infrastructure Delivery teams to design and deliver project solution architectures that supports the business requirements and ensures convergence with the overall technology strategy.
* To own IT architecture interests through the Pru IT gated governance process.
* To assess projects and initiatives for 'fit' against the Strategic IT Architecture and work to resolve non-conformance with the project team and where necessary escalate issues.
d) IT Estate Planning
* To proactively direct business and IT strategy by developing and recommending innovative initiatives and projects to support the overall business goals of Prudential.
* To contribute to the shaping and development of feasibility studies, business briefs and business cases with IT Relationship Managers.
* To lead high level product / technology upgrade migration planning in order to assist the implementation of the Strategic IT Architecture.
e) Personal Responsibility
* Compliance - To ensure that you understand and adhere to Prudential's Code of Conduct and, where appropriate, comply with all relevant regulatory policies. This includes completion of any mandatory training requirements.
* Financial Controls - Ensure all expenditure commitments (orders, contracts, budgets etc) and all payments are properly authorised, controlled and monitored, in accordance with Prudential UK delegated authority requirements. The responsibilities of expenditure authorisers are documented in the Prudential UK Financial Procedures Manual.
Job Dimensions - Financial
* Significant influence over c£10m of investment spend relevant to assigned domains
* Project Management - normally short duration design or POC projects with spend c£50k
Job Dimensions - Non Financial
* Visionary role, setting the strategic technology direction for the Prudential UKIO operation within specific domains.
* Senior technical leadership role providing technical expertise across multiple domains.
* Responsible for implementing the IT Governance process, leading the review of project design activity.
* Lead technical consultancy within major projects & programmes across multiple business areas.
Key Interfaces - Internal
* IT Relationship Managers and Project Managers
Review all projects & programmes for conformance with IT governance, present innovative technology opportunities, support with expert IT knowledge
* Pru IT
Lead technology decision making on projects in initiation. Support internal Pru IT resources with architecture guidance.
* Prudential UKIO Business areas
Lead Technology Architecture development.g. SOA, to support strategic business plans.
Key Interfaces - External
* Technology partners- own the architectural relationship, ensuring that technology partners deliver change into Pru UKIO aligned to the IT Strategy
* Technology suppliers- own technology relationship, develop 3 year technology changes plans, identify opportunities
* Industry standards bodies, e.g. Origo- assess impact of decision-making, lead Prudential's case on significant IT issues
* Research organisations, e.g. Gartner- utilise as part of IT decision making and due diligence, lead investigation of industry & competitor analysis
* External systems integrators, e.g. Zensar- lead education of technology standards within 3^rd parties, develop project proposals & outlines for technology transformation
To demonstrate a positive risk, compliance and control culture through the identification, assessment, monitoring and management of risks and issues within the business area, alongside ensuring timely and appropriate resolution of control weaknesses, actions and failures that arise.
The successful candidate will be a member of the IT Strategy & Architecture team, while working principally with Business Information Systems (BIS), which delivers BI and data provisioning solutions to Customer Services, Marketing, Financial and Actuarial business areas.
The role will focus on defining a consistent approach to solution delivery across BIS, which brings together previously separate BI and Actuarial Systems teams. It will include the definition of an overall target BI architecture, underlying component designs and a consolidated technology portfolio. The candidate will work closely with IT Designers in BIS to both oversee and drive the transformation required to deliver the target architecture. The role will also include the definition and use of common design frameworks, standards, practices and skills across BIS.
The candidate must have a sound understanding and demonstrable experience relating to Data Modelling and Data Management, Actuarial Modelling, and the design of large scale MI/BI and Data Integration Solutions. The candidate must have relevant work experience in the Insurance and/or Financial Services sectors,
The candidate should have practical knowledge and experience of a number of technology areas within scope of BIS, including:
* Actuarial Modelling Platforms (e.g. MoSes, Prophet)
* DBMS’s (e.g. Oracle, SQL Server)
* Data Warehouses & Data Marts (including Dimensional Modelling)
* MI/BI Analysis & Reporting (e.g. Business Objects, Crystal Reports, SSRS)
* ETL (e.g. Informatica PowerCentre/PowerExchange, SSIS)
* Data Analytics & Data Mining (e.g. SPSS Statistics/Modeler)
* OLAP (e.g. QlikView)
* Data Profiling (e.g. Informatica Data Explorer)
* Data Quality & Data Cleansing (e.g. DataFlux, Trillium)
* Meta Data Management (e.g. Informatica Metadata Manager)
* Financial Planning & Forecasting (e.g. Cognos)
The candidate must have the ability to interact and communicate with Business and IT colleagues at different levels, including:
* Business Stakeholders - to understand business strategy and associated capabilities, and articulate the resulting IT strategy
* Business Systems Users - to understand business requirements, and identify and define appropriate IT solutions
* Business & IT Architects - to define/refresh the IT strategy and technology selections, so as to enable the business strategy
* IT Designers and Developers – to lead/guide the design of technology solutions to meet strategic and tactical needs
Technical Knowledge and Skills:
* Proven large-scale experience of a wide variety of IT functions, including systems analysis, development and project management.
* Proven track record of defining technical and application architecture for large and small developments.
* Understanding of the application of current trends within technology, e.g. grid computing, in-memory analytics, dimensional data modelling.
* Understanding of industry best practice for the delivery of the Strategic IT Architecture.
* Knowledge of a wide variety of IT technologies including several of the disciplines in Strategic IT Architecture covering application, infrastructure and data architecture with specialist experience of at least one, e.g. BI.
Other Knowledge and Skills:
* Broad knowledge of the financial services industry and key regulatory requirements together with an understanding of business processes.
* Knowledge and understanding of business strategy / planning, financial analysis, marketing and operational processes.
* Excellent communication and team working skills, comfortable working with senior management level.
* Strong inter-personal skills, demonstrating a variety of influencing styles to enable effective completion of tasks both individually and within groups. Builds sustainable relationships with colleagues and key individuals in the business.
* Shows a desire to take the initiative, moving issues forward with clarity. Demonstrates an ability to think 'outside the box' while defining solutions in a workable form.
* Evaluates options efficiently and provides considered conclusions and direction.
* Demonstrates a strategic focus - ability to turn ideas / objectives into tangible deliverables and tasks.
* Ability to take complex, multi-faceted problems and work with them through to simple solutions recognising synergies and options.
Experience and Background:
* Extensive IT understanding across the breadth of IT.
* Proven experience of systems architecture, application architecture or data architecture.
* Experience in the development and maintenance of IT architecture and IT strategy.