Civils Technical Director (Rail)
Fundamental to living our core values is having great people in our business. That's why we believe that Amey is only as great as the people we employ. We place great value on our people and the contribution they make to our business, that’s why we aim to offer a competitive benefits package to all of our employees. Working for Amey you will receive a competitive salary and will be able to join our contributory pension scheme. In addition you will be entitled to Company sponsored life assurance and a generous holiday entitlement. You will also be invited to join Amey Choices which offers a range of flexible benefit options and offers additional benefits available throughout the year. Amey is an equal opportunities employer.
What is the purpose of this role?
To provide national technical leadership within the Civil Engineering discipline in Amey Consulting Rail. The Technical Director will be expected to develop consultancy services to deliver and improve technical excellence in accordance with Amey Consulting aspirations
What will this role involve?
- Work with the Head of Engineering for Consulting Rail and the Account and Business Directors to develop and deliver the business plan with specific reference to Civil Engineering design activities.
- Develop and maintain client relationships in order to raise awareness of and promote the Amey Consulting brand, leading to new business and helping to reinforce Amey’s reputation as a leading railway consultant
- Work collaboratively with the other Technical Directors and the Rail Professional Heads to develop and deliver excellence in technical performance.
- Provide direction and leadership to deliver planned growth, staff development, recruitment and training of the Civil Engineering team.
- Manage competence within the Civil Engineering, including the ownership and maintenance of a robust competence management system, resulting in issuing of authority to work documentation and clear routes for staff development.
- Monitor and review DRN responses from Network Rail and develop and implement a process of continual improvement wrt project deliverables and the promotion of best practice.
- Devise and implement a programme of technical audits, ensuring all Civil Engineering design teams are covered at least once a year.
- Provide feedback on non-conformance to the Head of Engineering, including actions and confirmed close out.
- Ensure the Civil Engineering discipline is up to speed with current industry best practice and manage the process of standards updates through technical and other briefings / communications.
- Be able to act as a Civil Engineering CRE to competence level 5 (Technical Expert) and a CEM to competence level 3 (Competent) Be able to act as a subject matter expert either internally or for client bodies.
- Overall responsibility for the technical output of the Civil Engineering design team across Amey Engagement with external industry bodies, promoting the expertise of Amey Consulting from a civil engineering and wider railway engineer perspective through presentations, technical papers etc.
- Provide technical content to bids, including highlighting where Amey are pushing innovative ideas and challenging standards, showing an ability to reduce costs and improve safety through our designs.
- Aid in the recruitment of technical staff, including monitoring of minimum competence levels, ensuring appropriate CPF job titles are used and salaries of new and existing staff are properly benchmarked
What are we looking for?
Essential Skills, Qualifications and Training:
- The post holder shall be a Chartered Engineer, registered with the Engineering Council, through a recognised institution such as the ICE or IStructE, or shall have significant experience in the Railway Civil Engineering discipline that is demonstrably equivalent to chartered status such that professional qualification can be gained within 12 months of being appointed.
- Demonstrable technical leadership skills and a drive for technical excellence
- Good communication skills dealing with clients, suppliers, other stakeholders and the public.
- Be recognised by our clients as a track technical expert and a ‘go to’ person for technical advice.
- PTS qualified In depth knowledge of CDM, CSM, Environmental
- Awareness and designing for Diversity and Inclusion IOSH – Managing Safely
Desirable Skills, Qualifications and Training:
- The post holder would preferably be a Fellow of an institution associated with the Engineering Council, and will be expected to apply for election to this status within a year of taking up the post.
- Full UK Driving Licence
What makes this role unique?
You will be expected to develop consultancy services to deliver and improve technical excellence in accordance with Amey Consulting aspirations.