P-Way Engineering Manager (Rail Design)
Fundamental to living our core values is having great people in our business. That's why we believe that Amey is only as great as the people we employ. We place great value on our people and the contribution they make to our business, that's why we aim to offer a competitive benefits package to all of our employees. Working for Amey you will receive a competitive salary and will be able to join our contributory pension scheme. In addition you will be entitled to Company sponsored life assurance and a generous holiday entitlement. You will also be invited to join Amey Choices which offers a range of flexible benefit options and offers additional benefits available throughout the year. Amey is an equal opportunities employer.
What is the purpose of this role?
To lead and mentor the track team through competently discharging their duties through their knowledge and experience of both Group and Company Standards whilst following Amey's own technical work instructions. The Engineer Manager should also be a team player and technical leader to coordinate the work load and continue to develop their own skill set in more complex track design projects.
What will this role involve?
- Lead the Track design team, allocate competent resource and develop the team competence, experience and knowledge.
- Manage the resource planning of the design team to ensure projects are delivered to programme, budget and specification.
- Provide resources to comply with Programme and Budget of schemes.
- Prioritise and control all design activities across the relevant business area.
- Have thorough knowledge in relevant railway Group and Company standards, British Standards, and Eurocodes, as well as relevant statutory, contractual, legal and special processes.
- Have a thorough knowledge of the GRIP process and a comprehensive understanding of the requirements and deliverables for the design input for all GRIP stages.
- Responsible for Design Procurement and Design Check Certification.
- Review and approve design calculations, contract documentation, drawings, technical documents and project reports if necessary.
- Provide professional and technical advice throughout the areas in which operating.
- Promote professional development for the business area.
- Ensure all necessary bids, orders and programmes are reviewed, approved and submitted in a timely fashion.
- Set and maintain high standards and ensure Clients are satisfied with performance.
- Maintain, develop, improve and own client relationships in order to promote long-term partnerships.
- Embrace and control compliance with Company procedures, policies and delivery plans, as well as the Consulting Compliance and Improvement Plan.
- Ensure Health, Safety and Environmental issues are given the highest priority.
- Develop and drive forward innovation and new business initiatives.
- Support the Professional Excellence Manager and other Amey senior managers to promote the wider Amey business and help develop and deliver the utilisation, turnover and margin targets.
What are we looking for?
- Chartered Engineer CEng through ICE or IStructE, or approaching CEng or IEng status.
- Have the ability to lead, inspire and manage a team and their workload to ensure the successful delivery of multi-disciplinary railway projects.
- Strong understanding of draughting and BIM software and steelwork and reinforced concrete detailing.
- Thorough knowledge of engineering management.
- Has a proficient knowledge of Bentley Microstation, PRT, ClearRoute 2, SD Calculator, Track-Ex and Microsoft Office. An appreciation or even working knowledge of Micro Drainage and creation of basic formula in Excel would also be an advantage
- Excellent experience of the co-ordination of the design process and team management.
- Excellent communication skills dealing with Clients, Contractors, supply chain, other parties, colleagues and disciplines.
- Client focused approach to service delivery and project deadlines.
- At least ten years relevant, post-graduate experience in P-Way Engineering railway design and or construction.
- Desire to develop existing skills and enhance team capability.
- A proven ability to lead a team with a dedicated approach to meeting project deadlines and utilisation targets.
- Flexible approach and willingness to develop career and those of colleagues.
- Self-motivated individual with excellent planning, organisation and communication skills.
What makes this role unique?
You will support the Associate Director and other Amey senior managers to promote the wider Amey business and help develop and deliver an increase in Turnover and Margin.