Cargoes, Safety and Pollution Prevention Lead - Flexible Working Available
About the job Job description
Do you want to make a difference and set national standards? Are you a motivated individual with the skills to lead?
If so, we would love to hear from you.
We are looking for a dedicated Cargoes, Safety and Pollution Prevention Lead to drive national standards within the Directorate of Maritime Safety and Standards.
You will have the chance to join our Ship Standards team where we have the responsibility for developing and maintaining UK policies and regulations relating to a wide range of safety and environmental issues associated with ships and vessels of all sizes.
You will work with your team to develop and maintain UK policies and regulations to relevant cargoes in terms of both safety and the prevention of pollution. You will also be supporting the delivery of the wider remit of Ship Standards.
As part of your role, you will be expected to:
- support team members and enable their development to fully realise their potential
- actively engage in all aspects of the regulatory process
- work closely with technical colleagues, analysts, and lawyers, among others, to ensure that regulations are delivered in a timely manner in accordance with all relevant clearance and consultation requirements
- ensure that representative consultation, briefs, ministerial submissions and any other associated material is prepared, cleared and distributed by agreed deadlines for assigned regulatory packages
- represent the UK and provide technical support at internal and external meetings
- arrange and provide briefing as required
- draft and check documents such as Merchant Shipping Notices, Marine Guidance Notes and instructions for Surveyors
- support and brief MCA, DfTc and other government senior management and Ministers as appropriate
- support the DMSS contribution to the Business Plan activities and objectives and work to achieve key priorities and business plan and performance indicators
Are you an ambitious person who loves to exceed their goals? We are searching for someone who is motivated and ready to manage and filter workflow as well as organise and prioritise workloads to maximise productivity. You are described as a diligent person, happy to concentrate on your work and do a thorough job even when under pressure. You will thrive managing a dynamic and challenging workload and welcome autonomy to your role.
Do you love driving continuous improvement? You are a strong advocate for change and continuous improvement, recognising the benefits of promoting a change culture within your team. We need you to be adaptable and flexible, adjusting to the requirements and strategic direction of the business.
We would love a confident individual to join us who can deliver the right messages a diverse range of colleagues in a professional and clear way. Excellent interpersonal skills are pivotal to this role with the ability to provide guidance and robust recommendations to internal representatives, where your exceptional engagement and relationship building skills will enable you to influence and challenge at all levels.
Although no prior knowledge is required, it is important that you are comfortable using technical and scientific data. We are looking for you to have previous experience in a regulatory environment.
The Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) implements the government's maritime safety policy in the United Kingdom and works to prevent the loss of life and occurrence of pollution on the coast and at sea.
Safer lives, Safer ships, Cleaner seas.
Our vision is to be the best maritime safety organisation in the world.
Find out what it's like to work at the Maritime and Coastguard Agency
We are part of the Department for Transport (DfT). DfT is a great place to work, and our ‘one team’ approach really makes a difference. We value our staff and that’s why we’re committed to nurturing an inclusive environment across the Department.
You’ll be part of an innovative organisation that invests in all our people, ensuring we have the diverse skills to deliver transport that moves Britain ahead now and into the future.
DfT has been recognised for its leadership on workplace gender equality by being included in The Times Top 50 Employers for Women 2017.
DfT’s inclusion is recognition of our commitment to make the Department a great place to work through our culture of equality and inclusivity and the great strides we’ve made to raise the number of women in senior positions.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Seeing the Big Picture
- Managing a Quality Service
- Making Effective Decisions
- Delivering at Pace
- Changing and Improving
- Working Together
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Policy Professional Framework - Advising, Briefing and Drafting Level 3
- Science and Engineering Professional Framework - Applying scientific and technical knowledge Level 3
- Science and Engineering Professional Framework - Securing, maintaining and developing relevant technical expertise Level 2
- Science and Engineering Professional Framework - Overseeing the technical work of others - Level 3
Civil Service pension schemes may be available for successful candidates.
Being part of our brilliant Civil Service means you will have access to a wide range of fantastic benefits. We offer generous annual leave, attractive pension options, flexible working, inclusive working environments and much more to support a healthy work/life balance.