Graduate Geotechnical Engineer
Amey Graduate Development Programme
Our two-year Graduate Development Programme starts you on a journey to develop your career in a challenging, dynamic and supportive work environment. We'll give you a real role from day one, so you'll get invaluable experience and exposure working on varied and exciting projects for a large, diverse and ambitious organisation.
We want graduates who excel in their subject and who'll bring talent, drive and fresh thinking to help propel our business forward. In return, we'll provide you with all the support you need to achieve your career goals, because we want you to be successful and grow your career with us.
Amey's Ground Engineering Account provides a comprehensive range of Geotechnical engineering consultancy services across all of our market sectors. We deliver value engineering solutions for our clients throughout the project life cycle, from feasibility studies through to design and construct and on-going asset management.
Our team of Geotechnical and Geo-environmental specialists pride themselves on excellence in service delivery to our customers and we are constantly seeking to drive efficiency and innovation in all that we do. With staff located in offices throughout the UK we are able to offer local Geotechnical support services to our clients and, working in collaboration, deliver cost and carbon benefits for our contracts with them.
What will this role involve?
We have opportunities across the UK including Edinburgh, York, Manchester, Birmingham and Bristol. You'll be working as part of a Ground Engineering team engaged in the delivery of commissions undertaken by Amey Consulting. Typical tasks could involve:
- Support the Senior Geotechnical Engineer and other team members by contributing, under close supervision, to the production of technically sound engineering solutions,
- Support the Senior Geotechnical Engineer and other team members by contributing under close supervision to the management of projects and monitoring of project budgets,
- Accompany more senior colleagues to meetings with the client and other stakeholders,
- Assist in the planning and execution of desk studies,
- Contribute to the planning, procurement and supervision of ground investigations,
- Geological modelling and interpretation,
- Inspection work,
- Feasibility studies and report preparation,
- Analysis of geotechnical data, contribute to preparation of interpretative and design reports,
- Contribute to outline and detailed geotechnical designs including foundations, slope stability and remediation designs, earthworks design and retaining walls,
- Able to drive and assist in the supervision of site works.
What are we looking for?
We treat people as individuals. We want a range of skills, from practicality and problem solving to precision and creativity. That goes for diversity too. We want a workforce as diverse as the communities we serve and value the experience that you bring to our business. We are looking for innovative, forward thinking graduates who will help propel our business forward and become our future leaders. You'll also have:
- Minimum 2.1 degree in relevant subject (Civil Engineering or an Earth Sciences subject (MEng, BEng, BSc), suitable for entry into a programme of accredited training leading to registration with an appropriate Institution),
- A post graduate qualification (MSc/PhD) in Soil Mechanics/Geotechnical Engineering, or similar, is essential,
- Available to start Autumn 2019,
- Membership of an appropriate Professional Institution at Student or Graduate grade or equivalent, either prior to or immediately on commencement of employment,
- Full UK driving licence
- Computer literate
- Commitment to studying towards professional qualification
- Strong analytical, written, communication and presentation skills
- Excellent teamwork skills
We place great value on all our people and the contribution they make to our business, that's why we aim to offer a competitive benefits package as well as supporting all graduates to gain a professional qualification through a Professional Institution.
We offer a Ground Engineering Graduate Development Programme as well as the Amey Graduate Development Programme. The Ground Engineering specific one will see you attend internal training, site visits and give you the potential to experience secondments to partner business's if it helps your professional development. You will be fully mentored by industry experts through your journey towards your professional qualification and given real responsibilities from day one.
The Amey Graduate Development Programme, over two years, sees you cover personal development, business skills and business improvement techniques. You'll also have the chance to meet your peers and senior management from across the UK at the annual graduate conference. We'll pay you a competitive starting salary, and if you perform well, we'll give you a pay rise every six months whilst on the graduate programme. At the end of the programme you can expect to progress into the next level of your chosen career. Amey is an equal opportunities employer.