Commercial Development Lead - Part Time
Duration: Fixed Term – 12 months
Hours: Part Time – 18.5 hours pw
Who we are:
GWR is the proud custodian of one of the most prestigious railway networks in the world. Our services call at over 275 stations, stretching across South Wales, the West Country, the Cotswold and large parts of Southern England.
We aim to transform the way people think about rail travel by setting a new standard – a better experience for our customers. Together we will restore the railways as a very special way to travel – relaxing, fast, efficient, friendly and fun.
About the team
Pivotal in the success of GWR, the Commercial Development Team delivers improvements to our stations and services through securing investment and negotiating agreements with Local Authorities, Local Enterprise Partnerships and other governmental and non-governmental funders. The team also leads and maintains mutually beneficial partnerships with key stakeholders.
About the job
From leading commercial negotiations and supporting the business to make the most of future developments and opportunities, you will play a pivotal role in facilitating investment into the railway network.
You will build strong relationships with partners and service providers and provide commercial leadership to ensure that the terms achieved are beneficial and in line with the wider commercial and strategic goals. You will also support the development of colleagues' commercial capabilities and provide peer review and approval of draft agreements.
What you'll be doing
Your main responsibilities will be:
- Identifying and structuring commercial arrangements
- Leading the early negotiation stage with local authorities, local enterprise partnerships, Department for Transport and other government and private funders
- Building and maintaining collaborative relationships
- Support the business to maximise future developments and opportunities including cost recovery
- Drafting documents and, for larger schemes, instructing and working alongside internal and external solicitors
- Supporting colleagues to develop commercial capabilities and peer review draft agreements
You'll need to be:
- Able to identify mutually beneficial solutions and outcomes
- Able to demonstrate previous experience of contract dispute and resolution
- A logical thinker with the ability to distil and evaluate large amounts of complex information
- A critical thinker with the ability to learn and assimilate information quickly
- Capable of working under pressure and to deadlines
As a minimum you'll need to have:
- Experience at negotiating within a legal or commercial context
- Worked within a commercial/legal environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Ability to build collaborative relationships
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
As well as a great team environment and comprehensive training, all GWR colleagues enjoy a range of benefits including defined benefit salary pension scheme, free leisure rail travel across the GWR network for you and your family, company-sponsored health care plan and an Employee assistance programme.
About the location
Working in a busy, cross functional team in offices based at or close to GWR railway stations. Visits to GWR stations, depots, offices and to our partner organisations across the network, mean that some travel will be involved.
18 hours - over 2.5 days or as agreed. We welcome applications from people who want to agree a flexible working pattern.
The more varied our workforce, the broader the expertise within our organisation. And the broader our expertise, the greater our chances of innovation and success. That's why we're committed to equality of opportunity, diversity and inclusion at every level.