Principal HV Design Engineer (Rail)
Fundamental to living our core values is having great people in our business. That's why we believe that Amey is only as great as the people we employ. We place great value on our people and the contribution they make to our business, that's why we aim to offer a competitive benefits package to all of our employees.
Working for Amey you will receive a competitive salary and will be able to join our contributory pension scheme. In addition you will be entitled to Company sponsored life assurance and a generous holiday entitlement. You will also be invited to join Amey Choices which offers a range of flexible benefit options and offers additional benefits available throughout the year.
Amey is an equal opportunities employer.
What is the purpose of this role?
Fulfilling a senior role within Amey, providing leadership and mentoring to the Intermediate and Design Engineers. Managing the design teams for the projects to meet deadlines, quality, budgetary, targets, whilst meeting or exceeding Clients expectations.
What will this role involve?
- Planning surveys and leading site survey teams
- Demonstrating a sound understanding of the design process
- Ability to design and check designs where required
- Managing CDM/risk analyses and attending HAZID workshops
- Undertaking the role of Contractor's Responsible Engineer in accordance with the requirements of Network Rail standard NR/L2/INI/02009
- Approving designs to ensure all contractual requirements have been satisfied to a level that complies with Network Rail, British and European Standards
- Keeping up to date with current Network Rail, British and European Standards
- Briefing electrical power design teams on contractual requirements and standards/workscopes
- Managing the Electrical Power element of a complete project
- Effective communication with the client including representing Amey Electrical Power design at client meetings and responding professionally to client feedback/DRNs
- Effective communication with other design/construction disciplines and sub-contractors including representing Amey Electrical Power design at IDC meetings
- Ensuring work is undertaken to programme and budget
- Undertaking high complexity design cost estimates and assisting with bid development work
- Developing and mentoring junior staff
- Preparing high level reports and feasibility studies
- Supporting the growth of the business, in particular the provision of Electrical and Lighting design services to both new and existing clients
- Deputise for the Principal Engineering Manager when required
The work is office based but will include a considerable amount of site survey work. This will include carrying out site surveys for electrical and lighting purposes and undertaking night time inspections. This survey work may include overnight stays. The post will also involve travelling around the UK for both client and internal project meetings.
What are we looking for?
- BEng/BSc or MEng/MSc in Electrical Engineering or equivalent
- Member of the Institution of Engineering & Technology (IET)
- Preferably holding professional registration as an Incorporated Engineer or Chartered Engineer with the IET. (Working towards is also acceptable)
- Full UK driving licence
- 17th Edition of IET Wiring Regulations
- Excellent level of computer literacy in Microsoft Office and Excel
- Highly proficient in the use of the English language (both written and spoken)
- Comprehensive knowledge of Network Rail, British and European electrical and lighting Standards
- Sound understanding of systems engineering including the Verification & Validation and SRAM processes
- Excellent understanding of CDM and CSM processes with exceptional skills for managing hazards and risks
- Good understanding of project management processes and structures
- Demonstrates excellent commercial awareness
- Preferably eight years postgraduate experience in railway electrical power design (e.g. signalling power, points heating, lighting and building services, etc.)
- An ability to identify innovative solutions to problems, with an interest in the application and promotion of energy reduction techniques
- Exemplary organisational and leadership skills
- Experienced with leading teams during site surveys
- Self-motivated and pro-active in terms of delivering projects and administering design staff
- Uses clear communication lines within the electrical design team
- Ability to fully undertake the role of Contractor's Responsible Engineer in accordance with the requirements of Network Rail standard NR/L2/INI/02009