Support Engineer - Flexible Working Available
We are looking for an enthusiastic, expert first line support Software Engineer ideally with strong knowledge of driver development and support in Manchester.
The role involves cooperating with highly motivated engineers from different disciplines and customers throughout the world to support and provide first line customer interface for optimised Vulkan and OpenGL ES drivers for the current and the next generation of Arm graphics cores, specifically targeted at the automotive industry. The day to day role is based around triage and support for a graphics team working on automotive products, managing and tracking incoming defects and outgoing patches and any associated additional customer support required.
About the GPU Team
In the GPU Team you will be working alongside the best engineers in the world, making market leading products for the world’s most successful companies.
With applications in mobile, machine learning, Internet of Things, automotive, security, and embedded devices, your ideas will make a difference and you will have the opportunity to lead, challenge the status quo and ultimately change the world of media processing.
Our product portfolio includes Graphics, Image, Display and Video IP and our Mali™ Graphics Processor is the world’s #1 shipping Graphics Processor.
We are a global team, working across numerous sites and cultures and we are entering a new growth phase to provide new technologies and products for new and existing markets and are looking for talented people to join the team.
Please take a look at the following video to see what it's like to work in Arm: https://youtu.be/F4tNBNBgYEY
Education & Qualifications
Bachelors, Masters or PhD (computer science or electronics engineering) with good academic record.
Essential Skills & Experience
- Extensive experience of supporting embedded software development for a commercial organization.
- Expert knowledge of C/C++.
- Expert knowledge of embedded OS and/or RTOS like: embedded Linux, Android, Nucleus.
- Experience of front line customer engagement
- Proficiency in triage and problem solving skills
- Willingness and ability to contribute to process improvement initiatives.
- Practical, organized and analytical approach to work.
- Experience of embedded operating systems, device drivers, microprocessor and embedded system hardware architectures.
- Experience with embedded software environments.
- Arm architecture knowledge.
- Experience with Microsoft Windows and UNIX host environments.
You will exhibit many of the following qualities:
- Self-reliant and who seeks out information and learning when required
- Ability to solve problems creatively - e.g. challenge the status quo and suggest novel approaches
- Evaluate proposals critically - e.g. contributing to design discussions and code reviews.
- Address all life-cycle phases of large tasks, from specification through test and user documentation, with minimal supervision.
- Provide support and guidance to our internal users and colleagues.
- Understand development and project processes in depth.
- Be willing to travel occasionally to Arm locations in Cambridge and worldwide.
At Arm, we are guided by our core beliefs that reflect our rare culture and guide our decisions, defining how we work together to defy ordinary and shape extraordinary:
We not I
- Take daily responsibility to make the Global Arm community thrive.
- No individual owns the right answer. Brilliance is collective.
- Information is crucial, share it.
- Realise that we win when we collaborate — and that everyone misses out when we don’t.
Passion for progress
- Our differences are our strength. Widen and mix up your network of connections.
- Difficult things can take unexpected directions. Stick with it.
- Make feedback positive and expansive, not negative and narrow.
- The essence of progress is that it can’t stop. Grow with it and own your own progress.
Be your brilliant self
- Be quirky not egocentric.
- Recognise the power in saying ‘I don’t know’.
- Make trust our default position.
- Hold strong opinions lightly.
Arm has a responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to live and work in the UK.
Your particular benefits package will depend on position and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package will be confirmed on offer of employment. Arm’s benefits program provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and create a positive working environment.
- Annual Bonus Plan
- Discretionary Cash Award
- Group Personal Pension Plan with enhanced company contribution
- Medical, Travel, Health & Life Insurances
- Holiday, 25 days annual leave with option to buy an additional 5 days per year
- Sabbatical, 20 paid days every four-year of service
- Volunteering, One (1) paid working day each year (TeamARM)
- Varies by location: cycle to work, free car parking, gym on site, team and social events
Arm® technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world’s most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving Arm innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
About the office
Our office in Manchester, England hosts diverse teams from throughout Arm including debuggers, HPC tools, technical communications, DevOps infrastructure provision and open-source software development. The office is located in the heart of Manchester city centre allowing easy access to shops, restaurants and a bustling nightlife. Known for its world-renowned sporting connections, Manchester is seen as the United Kingdom's "second city", as it is the most visited city in England by overseas visitors aside from the capital.