Commercial Manager (Part Time)
What is the purpose of the role?
As a result of our expanding portfolio of contracts and re-organisation of our Commercial team we are now looking for a Commercial Manager to join our Consulting Highways business in Scotland on a part time basis.
Reporting into the Principal Commercial Manager you will be responsible for the day-to-day commercial and contractual functions of a major design hub working closely with an Assistant Commercial Manager, another Commercial Manager, operational colleagues, design leads and senior management.
The Commercial Manager will provide commercial support mainly to the Traffic Scotland Operations & Infrastructure Services Contract (TSOISC) for Transport Scotland but also a range of other internal and external contracts
This role requires an upfront & proactive approach to the management of change, close liaison with internal colleagues & the need to form strong, open working relationships with clients and colleagues based on trust & integrity.
The exciting new role would suit a hands-on individual who is confident in using MS Excel and keen to drill into data and draw logical conclusions from it.
A background in quantity surveying would be beneficial, as would any relevant qualification or degree; accreditation by the RICS or a similar professional body would be an additional advantage.
Any experience in providing commercial support to design and consulting and/or highways contracts would be favourable
What will this role involve?
It is important that the successful candidate has some understanding in the following:
- Support and report to Account Manager and Account Director.
- Support with the submission of applications for payment, maximising all contractual entitlements.
- Ensuring that prompt payments are received to meet contract terms. Cash collection.
- Prompt submission of estimate / tender scheme information to the client.
- Support with the collation & presentation of weekly cost / value information & associated KPI data.
- Support in the preparation & presentation of monthly CVRs with final cost / value forecasts.
- Forecasting and presentation of forward works and expected cash flows.
- Populating & presentation of forecast & budget information on all Scotland Consulting contracts to company management and directors.
- Commercial management of Sub-Contractors. Supply chain management.
- Procurement, negotiation and placing of sub-contract orders / instructions.
- Preparation of appropriate documentation in relation to variations, claims, additional payments etc.
- Commercial support to all PMs in the contracts team.
- Commercial support to the bidding, estimating & procurement teams.
- Liaison with the client on all commercial matters, meeting their requirements whilst ensuring all supporting documentation is in place to build trust and good relations.
Preparation of financial documents to support tenders and price submissions
What are we looking for?
Degree qualification (RICS accredited or equivalent) is desirable, or able to demonstrate a proven track record in quantity surveying / commercial management with significant experience in a senior role.
- Competent in basic computer skills
- Strong commercial and financial acumen
- Ability to time-manage, set priorities and work to strict deadlines
- Methodical style of working
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office suite of products especially Excel and Word
- Strong desire to further Client relationships whilst ensuring that contractual entitlements are not compromised
- Team player
- Determination to develop and coach junior members of the commercial team
- Motivation and desire to succeed Ability to work under pressure
- Good communication skills
- Good negotiation skills
- Sound knowledge of contracts
- Awareness of industry issues
- Good health and safety awareness
We're committed to creating better places for everyone. We take pride in making a difference, but also in being the difference: for the communities we serve, whatever the challenge, whatever the weather. By designing and consulting, building and maintaining, managing and investing in our country's services and infrastructures we create better places to live, work and travel.
As one of us, you can really be you because your individuality is an asset. You're surrounded by a team of people who want you to grow and embrace new challenges. People who care about your job satisfaction as well as your well being. There'll be experiences as original as you are, in a career that can feel like many rolled into one. You'll be stretched but always supported. To bring out the better in you. To shine as a better team player or self starter. To help you commit to better each day, delivering whatever steps it takes, great or small, to create better places for everyone.
We believe that we are what we do.
It's more than just wanting to do better.
At Amey we're proud to be the better