Data Engineer - Flexible Working Available
Who are Lloyds Banking Group?
As the UK's largest retail and commercial bank, we have a footprint that touches nearly every community and household in the UK. That gives us a big responsibility to support the UK economy, and we have a clear strategy to put customers first and achieve our vision of being the best bank for our customers.
We're innovating products that help transform customer journeys - making millions of people's lives simpler and better, all over the country, every single day. There's never been a better time to be part of change - help us reinvent the boundaries of banking and we'll invest in your continued development, so you can shape your future career. We're committed to employing a diverse and inclusive workforce,- where all our colleagues can be themselves and succeed on merit.
Job Title: Data Engineer
Location: Centron House, Wythenshawe, Manchester M22 5QZ
Salary: £33,327 - £37,030
About Core Banking System (CBS) Lab
The Lab's overall purpose is to support the needs of the Retail and Commercial banking systems. CBS is important to allow us to achieve the Group strategy as we enable digital transformation and support the Group's journey to Bank of the Future.
What would you get involved with?
We're introducing a new Service incorporating new technology into our Lab to service Open Banking customers and provides real time event streaming capabilities for core banking customer transactions and a high availability, web scalable System of Engagement for value stream consumers to access read only data via Enterprise scale APIs. Our core capabilities include Real Time/Near Real Time Streaming (Kafka, Storm and Spark and System of Engagement (Cassandra).
Want to know more about the role...
We're particularly keen to find a highly motivated and proactive software engineer for the service/change area to join our team. In this role you'll ensure the delivery and technical support of products, applications and services meet the agreed standards for the environment. To provide recommendations into the improvement of services and processes and the mitigation of risks associated with the environment, leading assigned team members as appropriate.
Some of the activities you'll be involved in:
- Install and maintain products and services according to Group standards and policies, and to agreed service levels
- Provision of technical support (including incident and problem resolution) for systems and processes in complex environments
- Carry out technical activities in support of project delivery, service improvement and ongoing support of the platform
- Identify and implement improvements to technical processes and toolsets to improve resource and cost efficiency
- Identify and remediate risks
Ideally what are the skills required to be considered for this job? Some knowledge in some/all of the following areas:
- Experience in distributed data processing and storage
- Demonstrate some of software engineering technical skills - including Java (1.8+)/J2EE, micro-services (and related frameworks), Storm-1.x, Spark 2.x, Spark Streaming, HDFS, Hive, Kafka, Tez, Kafka, ETL tools like Sqoop/ Nifi/ Flume
- Some experience or knowledge of NoSQL Data Stores, with added specific experience of Cassandra internals, setting up/restoring/upgrading Cassandra clusters, Cassandra monitoring tools
- Some knowledge of REST based API and micro-services.
- Technical knowledge of the environment and associated technologies and the related standards and policies used to govern these technologies
- Understanding of technical and operational processes used to deploy, support and maintain the technical infrastructure and/or business application services
- Diagnostic skills and an ability to analyse technical information from different sources, allowing the provision of highly effective solutions in challenging environments
- Maintains a focus on reducing risk and building confidence in the team and its stakeholders on the quality of Engineering
- Ensure Engineering is conducted in a way which is consistent with the collective views, frameworks, patterns and standard methodologies that exist across the wider Engineering community
You'll play a key role in the overall engineering strategies and transformation, pushing boundaries and seeking opportunities to improve.
We're also looking for someone with an open to new "thought process" and Change mind-set; whom brings in new ways of working or innovative and creative ways of delivering software; experience of working in well-established and mature labs; knowledge of a wide range of engineering practices and tools and good awareness of emerging technology within the engineering space.
What will you get in return?
On top of our team ethos we're sincere about both equal opportunity and our colleagues representing the communities we serve - developing and advancing the best in our people.
You'll also get:
- A competitive salary an annual variable performance bonus and a flexible cash pot to spend on benefits (or take as cash)
- A generous pension contribution and private health cover
- 28 days leave and various Share schemes
We support a good work-life balance, home-working, a focus upon personal development and we're passionate about diversity in the workplace. Together we make it possible!
So, if you have the experience we're seeking then get in touch, we'd love to hear from you….