Transmission Supervisor- Flexible Working Available
Discovery, Inc. is a global leader in real life entertainment, serving a passionate audience of superfans around the world with content that inspires, informs and entertains.
Discovery delivers over 8,000 hours of original programming each year and has category leadership across deeply loved content genres around the world. Available in 220 countries and territories and 50 languages.
Discovery’s portfolio of premium brands includes Discovery Channel, HGTV, Food Network, TLC, Investigation Discovery, Travel Channel, Turbo/Velocity, Animal Planet, and Science Channel, as well as OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network in the U.S., Discovery Kids in Latin America, and Eurosport, the leading provider of locally relevant, premium sports and Home of the Olympic Games across Europe.
The Maximus project has delivered the new London Technology Hub (LTH), integrating critical transmission operations from several existing diverse European locations consisting of up to 60 employees operating 24/7/365 (including daily freelancers). The LTH will reduce cost and amplify efficiency via the centralization of the playout previously undertaken in these diverse facilities, together with operational resiliency that will come online with the ETT Project in the future.
Reports directly to the Senior Manager of Transmission and acts as the key point of liaison for project managing the planning and execution of all Discovery broadcasts based in the London Technology Hub. This includes Eurosport channels, Discovery brands and various Nordic free-to-air networks. Interfacing to LTH production workstreams, 3rd party partners as is the coordination with other ETT sites across Europe.
The role is responsible for a team of shift Transmission Operators who operate 24/7/365. The Transmission Supervisor is the primary contact for all TX matters and is responsible for the identification, escalation and resolution of any technical or operation issues.
The role is a shift role, working 12-hour shifts based around a 3-week pattern. There is a requirement for occasional working off-site as required and flexibility to cover other Supervisors when needed that includes weekends and non-standard working hours, including some nightshifts.
- Responsible for leading, motivating and managing a team of shift Transmission Operators
- To act as a central point of co-ordination for GT&O across all Discovery broadcasts from the London Technology Hub, inclusive of Eurosport and various free-to-air channels).
- Create, maintain and communicate all Live documentation for each event, insuring coordination between TX operators, On-air-producers.
- Evaluations and testing of all new workflows, including upgraded automation systems, new hardware, scheduling and graphics developments.
- Liaise appropriately with relevant business units in the project management, planning and seamless execution of broadcasts, be they live, as-live, or pre-recorded.
- Ensure Compliance during all broadcasts with relevant regulatory body
- To be present and ensure smooth playout at key live events such as Olympics, tennis, cycling and other high-profile events.
- Creation, maintenance and communication of Standard Operating Procedure documentation, as well as ensuring all teams adhere to these consistently.
- Liaising with key stakeholders to ensure emergency protocol is prepared for individual live broadcasts, contingency plans are in place and all relevant back up materials clearly communicated and available to TX.
- Review, research and communicate in situations where advance notification is provided around system maintenance or operational abnormalities.
- Supplying business with post live and end of shift summary reports including any amendments to intended schedule or operational issues.
- Supporting all operational teams in driving efficiency via system and workflow projects and developments
- Performance managements including regular feedback, determining goals and individuals targets for development.
- Ensuring post TX reconciled reports for Live (as runs) and updating IBMS.
- Be flexible to work weekends and evenings as required.
- Act as key escalation point to senior team
- All other duties as assigned