We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Digital Specialist to join the Board of Trustees for a youth social action charity.
Position: Digital Trustee
Location: London or trustees can join by video call from any location
Expenses: Reasonable expenses are covered including travel
Closing Date: 3rd February 2020
The Trustees take overall responsibility for the strategic direction of the organisation and its ability to fulfil its mission of empowering young people to ‘give a year and change the world’ and to impact the lives of children and young people in disadvantaged areas of London, Birmingham and Manchester.
We are seeking a senior digital specialist, who can:
- Bring cutting-edge thought leadership and an outside perspective to help develop the digital strategy;
- Help the charity to become a more data-driven organisation and champion the use of data in board discussions;
- Highlight the opportunities and risks of digital and translate these for other trustees;
- Be a sounding board and source of support for the Chief Operating Officer and the Data and Impact Manager;
- Bring practical links and insights into the opportunities and risks that will help them take forward one or more of their digital innovation projects (which include the introduction of a new outcome and impact reporting package, improvement to their knowledge management and the development of a self-service application for their volunteers).
All trustees are required to attend quarterly board meetings (3 hours) and committee meetings, (1.5 hours), and provide support and guidance to the senior leadership team and staff on an as-needed basis. Trustees are also asked to commit to attending a number of key events such as school visits, friend raisers, impact breakfasts, drinks events and gala dinner, opening day, red jacket and graduation ceremonies.
As a Trustee, your ideal background and experience would be:
- A Chief Technology Officer or Chief Information Officer (or someone who reports to one), who leads all or a significant part of a digital/IT function, including strategy, planning and implementation, infrastructure and data systems.
- Someone who will be able to bring experience of best-in-class digital to a smaller entrepreneurial context.
- To have delivered transformational change to business technologies and processes, to deliver costs savings and service improvements to customers.
- To have strategically implemented agile project management practices, open-source, cloud platforms and digital services
About the Organisation
This youth social action charity, challenges 18 to 25-year-olds to tackle educational inequality through a year of full-time voluntary service. As mentors, tutors and role models in schools, they support pupils growing up in some of the most disadvantaged areas of the UK.
The volunteers are integral to the school day. They encourage pupils both in and out of the classroom to engage with and enjoy learning while developing their own skills. They meet to share experiences and benefit from additional leadership training, delivered by experts from across the education, business and voluntary sectors. The City Year experience empowers these exceptional and diverse young people to realise their aspirations and grow as leaders, both through their impact on children’s lives and through training, coaching and career development opportunities.
You may also have experience in areas such as Chief Technology Officer, Technology Officer, Chief Information Officer, Information Officer, Digital, IT, ICT, Strategy, Planning and Implementation, Infrastructure, Data Systems.