Release Manager (12 Month FTC)
Discovery Digital Media is a well-funded start-up within Discovery Inc, a high-performing global team working at the dynamic intersection of Technology and Entertainment. As content creators in the digital space, we continuously leverage our technological capabilities to create immersive viewing experiences for iconic brands including Eurosport, GOLFTV, MotorTrend and DPlay.
The London-based Digital and Technology department is a centre-of-excellence for digital product development and user engagement. We innovate and bring to life transformational video-on-demand products–redefining how lovers of Discovery’s content engage with the shows they know and love across the globe. As the Digital and Technology team continues to grow, we’re now on the looking for an enthusiastic, detailed orientated Release Manager to support the Dplay Operation.
- Lean advocates with a specific focus on BDD and Kanban
- Full Automation test suites favoured over manual QA – we like software engineers in test
- Best in class development
- We like things to be fast and re-usable
- We have a build vs buy mentality; everything is proprietary from front to back!
- Constantly exploring new technology
- Dedicated and hardworking, with an eye on a positive work/life balance
- We work in cross-platform, mission-based squads – with knowledge sharing being a key aspect
- Totally collaborative, but not big fans of meetings
As the Release Manager, you will oversee a number of key functions within the product development environment that enable the delivery of a high-quality service to end-users, as well as ensure any released changes to services meet the business’ needs. This position is a stakeholder facing role and requires that you establish and manage expectations within the business, and drive the Tech Operations team to achieve those expectations to a high standard. The primary role will be to support releases to a live for a bespoke product with a large existing user base. The product is cross-platform and cross territory so some travel may be required.
- Joint responsibility of the product release calendar
- Own the preparation, tracking, communication and oversee the release for all platforms and realms
- Co-ordinate go no go meeting or polls to ensure we have approvals to release to production
- Ensure all support resources are communicated too and are aware of their roles for the releases
- Ensure post-release testing is performed and we have feedback from the teams locally that the service is working fine.
- Work with internationally distributed teams to ensure any service issues post-release are picked up and dealt with as quickly as possible and gaining the necessary approval if a steer is needed
- Provide the necessary release communications through and post each release
- Work with DevOps to keep the test, stage environments in check
- Strict adherence to version control is important
- Act as the gatekeeper for all live deployments
- Champion on-going improvements to the release management process
- Be accountable for the quality of each release
Performance & Quality
- Make recommendations for improvements to the release process and ensure actions are followed through to completion in a timely manner
- Work with internal and third-party teams to ensure actions are taken and completed to protect and improve the release process
- Provide regular and accurate management reporting on IT Service & Release performance
- Use monitoring tools to track key metrics to help understand the quality of releases as we as post-release events into monitoring tools to observe the quality of service post-release
- Able to manage and prioritise tasks and time efficiently
- Able to demonstrate initiative and a proactive approach to daily tasks
Key Skills and Experience
- Proven Operational and Release Management experience, preferably within a Media or Technology company
- Understanding of Confluence and Jira
- Understanding of Agile methodologies and working within and Agile environment is important.
- Experience of releasing across multiple platforms such as web, iOS, Android, Smart TV and gaming platforms
- Experience in deploying releases and updating across multiple environments such as stage, test and live
- Co-ordinate and track 3rd party releases and ensure releases do not conflict with other releases and events
- Experience in using event monitoring tools such as Mux, Datadog, Firebase, etc
- Excellent communication skills
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work well in a matrix environment with internationally based teams
- A proven track record of multi-tasking in a fast-paced environment
- Desire to take on extra responsibility and work under own initiative
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office or Apple equivalent, Slack, Outlook, Zoom.
- Strong troubleshooting and problem-solving skills with attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and take initiative, a self-starter
- Working for a global company (travel to other office locations may be required).