Executive Officer - Flexible Working Available
We recognise the challenges that people with (multiple) protected characteristics may experience on the job market and in their career progression. We are fully committed to being an inclusive employer and ensuring equal opportunities. We are keen to make our workforce as diverse as possible, and we hope to attract applications from underrepresented groups, including Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) people, people with a disability, and people with gender diverse identities.
Do you have a keen eye for detail?
Can you manage your time effectively to meet deadlines?
Are you someone that enjoys communicating with others?
We are looking for driven individuals to join us and be a part of our thriving team. If you would like to progress in your career within the civil service, then please apply! We can't wait to hear from you!
We are looking for a hardworking and driven individual that can help support the policy team to deliver ambitious and exciting projects. The candidate would need to react at pace and respond to issues as they arise.
We have two exciting roles within our department, of which these are listed below:
Briefing & Communications
Within this role, you play an integral part in important activities briefing and providing information for Ministers and senior colleagues across the Department and Agencies. You will also support other government departments, ensuring that the most up to date, accurate and appropriate information is available. Working with your line manager, you will bolster our capability to provide briefing documents. Ensuring they are dynamic and engaging in such a way that exemplifies best practice.
Specifically you will,
• Have an oversight of all Ministerial briefings, invitations and relevant correspondence sent from the Maritime directorate to Ministers.
• Supporting on speech-writing and the creation of a repository of high quality briefing packs for the Maritime Directorate.
• Supporting ministerial visits and events, working with communications teams and the briefing and correspondence officer
Within this role, you will be a part of the Strategy and Programmes team which is located within the Maritime Policy Division. You will work across the directorate assisting with Project Portfolio Management (PPM), analysing risks, creating dashboard and project plans. If successful, you will also support various functions and coordinate the financial processes for Maritime.
Specifically you will,
• Conducting regular analysis with our financial resourcing partner to raise opportunities and outline problems to the directors of Maritime
• Processing purchase orders and coordinate other financial processes to allow Maritime to operate efficiently and effectively
• Managing a fast-paced and considerable workload with a degree of autonomy, dealing with day to day policy and communications issues and ad-hoc tasks
• Supporting the directorate with PPM and the development of divisional dashboards collating risks, Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and work streams
Roles and responsibilities
• Organise internal communications for the Maritime Directorate to increase knowledge and understanding of Maritime across the Department.
• Manage a fast-paced and considerable workload with a degree of autonomy, dealing with day to day policy and communications issues and ad-hoc tasks.
• Support the HEO and SEO in actively gathering information and collating data on maritime developments across the sector.
• Develop knowledge and understanding of Maritime opportunities and needs of the sector as a whole.
For further information on the role, please see the attached role profile.
We are following current government guidelines and working remotely, if successful at interview you will be provided with IT equipment to carry out your duties remotely.
To be successful you will need to be someone that has excellent interpersonal skills, be able to adapt your communication style and tailor this to your audience. We are seeking someone that can challenge where appropriate, to influence others to come around to your way of thinking.
You will need to be someone that can manage conflicting priorities at any one given time, using these skills to manage your time effectively to ensure that you meet delivery deadlines.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Communicating and Influencing
- Delivering at Pace
- Working Together
- Seeing the Big Picture
Being part of our brilliant Civil Service means you will have access to a wide range of fantastic benefits. We offer generous annual leave, attractive pension options, flexible working, inclusive working environments and much more to support a healthy work/life balance.
Find out more about what it's like working at the Department for Transport.
Things you need to know Security
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
People working with government assets must complete basic personnel security standard checks.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours, Strengths and Experience.
We are closely monitoring the situation regarding the coronavirus, and will be following central Government advice as it is issued. There is therefore a risk that recruitment to this post may be subject to change at short notice. In addition, where appropriate, you may be invited to attend a video interview.
Please continue to follow the application process as normal and ensure that you check your emails regularly as all updates from us will be sent to you this way.