Senior Live Unit Subtitler
Want to do the best work of your life? With 24 million customers in 7 countries, make your mark at Europe’s leading media and entertainment brand. A workplace where you can proudly be yourself; our people make Sky a truly exciting and inclusive place to work.
The overall job purpose is to produce and deliver subtitles for live programming across all Sky live channels. You will be responsible for the scheduling and allocation of work within the department. As well as training and development, supporting the management team.
The department operates a 24 x7 x 365 service and, as such, there is a requirement to work shifts, which currently include a mixture of 530am starts, 2am finishes and night shifts, on a regular basis. This role would mainly be home working.
What you'll do:
– To accurately use re-speaking techniques and to understand Dragon Naturally Speaking voice-recognition software to generate live subtitles for instant transmission of a standard to be aligned with Ofcom guidelines and Sky SLAs.
– To allocate programmes to team members, as well as schedule management.
– To monitor subtitling output, QC and deliver training and development for other staff members.
– To repurpose live captions for repeat showings. To edit text retrieved from the newsroom computer systems into pre prepared one or two-line subtitles
– To log and report all failures in transmission to the appropriate person or people and/or to complete the Fault log and to collaborate closely and effectively with the Technical Services department on site
– To exhibit quick reactions and responses to transmission operational problems and raise to line management/technical support.
– To support the team leaders and Senior Manager when required
What you'll bring:
– An interest in, and in-depth knowledge of sport and current affairs is a must
– In-depth knowledge and the ability to use subtitling software and, with training, to be able to absorb new versions or systems as introduced.
– Knowledge of other subtitling technologies
– Sufficient knowledge and the ability to use other software such as MS Word and Excel
– Ability to adapt to different subtitling styles to meet changing needs of the business and, where necessary, to improve output
Group Product: We’re the team behind the infamous Sky products line-up. From Sky+ to Sky Q. From hardware and software to intricate design. Could you help us turn an idea into the next big thing? As a team, we’re collaborative, empowered and innovative – together, we’re proud that everyone’s favourite Sky products are #MadeByUs.
There's a reason people can't stop talking about #LifeAtSky. Our great range of rewards really are something special, here are just a few:
– Sky Q, for the TV you love all in one place
– A generous pension package
– Private healthcare
– Discounted mobile and broadband
Recognised as an ‘Inclusive Top 50 Employer’ and a ‘Times Top 50 Employer for Women’, we’re working hard to ensure we’re a truly inclusive place to work. This means we don’t just look at your CV. We’re more focused on who you are and the potential you’ll bring to Sky. We also know that everyone has a life outside work, So we're happy to discuss flexible working.
And we'll do everything we can to support you during your application. If you need us to make any adjustments to our recruitment process, speak to our recruitment team who will be happy to support you.
Apply now to build an amazing career and be part of a brilliant team. We can’t wait to hear from you.
To find out more about working with us, search #LifeAtSky on social media. A job you love to talk about.
Just so you know: if your application is successful, we’ll ask you to complete a criminal record check. And depending on the role you have applied for and the nature of any convictions you may have, we might have to withdraw the offer.