Assistant Estimator - Flexible Working Available
Willmott Dixon is passionate about its people, with a real focus and drive around continuous development, offering you a career of a lifetime!
As a privately-owned, family-run construction business founded in 1852, we employ over 2000 people and achieved a turnover in 2018 of £1.2 billion. We have a purpose beyond profit and are dedicated to leaving a positive legacy in our communities and the environment.
As a Sunday Times Top 100 Listed Company (5th place), the Times Top 50 Employers for Women 2020 and the UK's first carbon neutral construction company since 2012, we are proud to have achieved the Queen's Award for Enterprise: Sustainable Development (2016) and Promoting Opportunity (2018). We have also been recognised for outstanding investment in communities with a CommunityMark from Business in the Community.
Willmott Dixon is currently looking to recruit an Assistant Estimator to join our Central South Construction team based in Farnborough however, we do have a satellite office in Oxford which we would consider candidates to be based from too. Reporting to the Pre-Construction Manager, the successful candidate will manage and prepare the complete commercial element of bids and tenders.
Key responsibilities of an Assistant Estimator are:
- To manage commercial activities with a high degree of acumen
- To Identify opportunities to add value throughout the project process
- To identify risks and input into project risk register
- To price selected trades from first principles
- To apply company commercial procedures and processes in compliance with Audit requirements
- To complete project take - offs
- To prepare whole life costing analysis
- To prepare pre construction element of the project waste management plan
- To Provide mentor training for junior staff members
- To Constantly reinforce and deliver our customer first ethic through successful bid and personal performance
- To provide input into the local sales team
- To manage and prepare complete commercial element of tender
Essential and Desirable Criteria
- Track record of successful delivery of tenders.
- Experience of pricing a variety of construction projects in a wide range of sectors adopting a range of construction techniques.
- Controlling costs, timing and quality in line with targets
- Reading and accurately interpret drawings and technical specifications
- Understanding and appropriately allocate a bills of quantities
- Understanding site requirements in respect of preliminaries items
- Understanding the planning function
- Essential - Minimum relevant level 4 qualification (HNC/NVQ4 etc)
- Construction related degree.
- You will be able to model behaviour that shows, respect, helpfulness and co-operation,
- Respond positively and with resilience with setbacks,
- State your position and views clearly and confidently in conflict situations,
- Identify your customers' needs and expectations and strive to deliver them,
- Present plans clearly, concisely, accurately and in ways that ensure understanding,
- Take personal responsibility for making things happen,
- Find practical ways to overcome barriers,
- Set demanding but achievable objectives for yourself and others,
Willmott Dixon embraces diversity in the workplace.
We are happy to consider flexible working.
Willmott Dixon is one of the largest privately owned Construction businesses in the UK. Our unique selling point is our people. We are passionate about people, with a real focus and drive around continuous development. We strongly believe that this passion has allowed us the success we have enjoyed in recent years. Above everything else you will be joining a values based business: our values are at the centre of every activity we undertake. Having the right talent, coupled with the right culture and values, ensures that we have a sustained future and a trusted brand in our respective markets.
Willmott Dixon has very recently been awarded 5th place in the Sunday Times Best Companies Top 100 to work for and is the first major contractor and developer to win a Queen's Award for Enterprise in the category of sustainable development. We have also been recognised for outstanding investment in communities with a CommunityMark from Business in the Community.
We offer a competitive salary in addition to a comprehensive benefits package* including a company pension scheme, company car or car allowance, life assurance, discounted private medical cover, incentive/bonus schemes, employee trade discounts, and many more. We offer you a bright future, one where you will have the opportunity to develop your career with a fast moving, forward thinking company, who recognize and reward your achievements.
* Benefits may vary dependent upon the role and type of employment contract.