Technical Program Manager III
As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people’s curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
The Direct to Consumer Group is a technology company within the Discovery brand. We are building a global streaming video platform (OTT), and a suite of applications to support all of our network’s brands globally. We are building modern container-based micro-services operated on AWS. Our platform covers everything from search, catalogue, video transcoding, personalization, to global subscriptions, and really much more. We build user experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing to interactive learning applications. We build for connected TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles for a large footprint of Discovery owned networks (Discovery, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport, Discovery Play, and many more) This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery’s future.
We are hiring senior technical program managers to join our team. We focus on all aspects of streaming video: live and VOD pipelines, metadata transformation, server-side ad insertion, CDN integrations, playback services, video player backends, and AI/ML-based personalization. The ideal candidate has a track record of having program managed multiple high-performance, stable, scalable systems that have been successfully shipped to customers in production. Your work and your approach to work are exemplary: you drive best practices and set standards for your team. You show good judgement making trade-offs between immediate and long-term business needs. You are a collaborative partner that makes other team members around you more productive, by sharing your knowledge, and helping to tie-break key technical decisions. You provide mentoring to others.
- Partner with product management and engineering to translate product requirements and functional designs into milestones, epics, and user stories. You bring the architectural and design pattern insights of an engineer to this task, combined with a project manager’s understanding of team dynamics, dependencies, and scheduling constraints.
- Always be shipping: you will drive all processes around delivering the right software on time and on budget. You will participate in daily scrums and meta-scrums, manage and prioritize sprint backlogs, pro-actively anticipate bottlenecks or resource contention, unblock development, triage issues, modify or rescope stories to reduce risk, and accept stories when they are done.
- Regularly engage stakeholders and external teams to communicate the status of various in-flight development, and anticipate the result of schedule changes to other teams
- Track and coordinate work across multiple development teams
- Where necessary, serve as the ongoing direct liaison between a given brand’s team and the platform group, helping identify platform gaps and assisting the brand with a project or launch.
- During live-site escalations, provide leadership and analysis based on your understanding of customer use-cases. You will be paged if your service tips over: so make sure your software is resilient.
- Participate in the review of outages and provide feedback to prevent future occurrences.
- Significant technical program management experience in a software product development environment including direct experience in operational cloud computing applications.
- Technical fluency with multi-tenant cloud-based platform services.
- Considerable software experience at an engineering level highly preferred.
- Proven experience as a technical leader. Demonstrated ability to lead the development of complex applications.
- Strong sense of responsibility and ownership for the success of projects from inception to rollout and maintenance.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability and confidence to work closely with select customers in pre-sales and collaborative scenarios.
- A BS degree in computer science or a related field is required.
- Knowledge of video encoding and video delivery highly preferred