IT Product Manager (Analytics Platforms)
Inmarsat has been at the forefront of global mobile satellite communications for over forty years, and is the market leading provider of voice and high-speed data communications for users on land, at sea and in the air through its constellation of 14 geostationary satellites. Inmarsat is a privately owned company with a profitable track record and significant growth aspirations. This is represented by more than 55 nationalities in the workforce, reflecting the global and dynamic nature of the business. With an investment of over $3 billion in its latest network infrastructure, Inmarsat is at the forefront of global mobile communications innovation.
Chief Operations Office
Inmarsat’s Chief Operations Office (COO) plays a vital role managing the services that keep our business running and delivering to our customers. COO consists of 9 functions including: Satellite Operations, Network Operations, Service Assurance, Service Delivery Aviation and Customer Assurance, Service Delivery and Supply Chain, Project Management Office, Global Cyber Security and Group IT
The Product Manager, Analytics Platforms is a key leader in the IT delivery team. The role is accountable for developing and maintaining the central source of Inmarsat’s vital management and business Information, providing trusted datasets and supporting self-service platforms in order to enable fast decision making and powerful business insights. It includes creating the right culture to enable a high performing data engineering team and managing 3rd party development partners.
The successful candidate will have strong leadership skills, building sound relationships with key senior business stakeholders (exec level) and lead companywide collaboration activities while defining the strategy and embedding and enforcing governance of the analytics platform and related technologies.
The role also focuses on the long-term vision for the analytics platforms and data lakes and supporting the value maximization from Inmarsat’s investment in the relevant products, and ensuring the product meets the ongoing needs of the Business (including technical teams, Service Assurance).
The candidate will create and maintain the single source of trusted analytics data (commercial and technical) required by our community of business information analysts and data scientists. This will include the central strategic Google Cloud analytics platform that efficiently and accurately extracts data from source systems and, where appropriate, transforms this into datasets that allow authorised users easy self-serve access using Tableau (or similar visualisation tools) to automate reporting.
It also includes support for Artificial Intelligence & Machine Learning (AI/ML) with platform capabilities that help the business take advantage of advanced analytics techniques to provide deeper insights and solve business problems.
The Product Manager is responsible for ensuring continuous operation & development of the analytics platform leading (and ensuring development of) a high performing team of Data engineering subject matter experts that retain the detailed knowledge of our data domains and:
- Design and develop the platform, data pipelines and business logic
- Resolve job failures and platform related data quality issues
- Provide technical support to analyst and data scientist communities
- Deliver small changes and the pipeline of new data enhancements
The successful candidate will be the champion for Inmarsat’s strategic Google Cloud Platform (GCP) and data lakes working closely with key suppliers. They will manage data operations including the resolver group that resolve incidents and problems associated with this platform and datasets.
The candidate must possess a unique blend of business and technical savvy, a big-picture vision and the drive to make that a reality.
Other responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Developing and execution of the analytics platform strategy
- Championing and driving adoption across the organization
- Managing the day to day data engineering team, people development, work allocation and quality and managing the business stakeholders to achieve the expected results
- Managing 3rd party developers to deliver to time, budget and quality
- Develop & own the product roadmap, in life management and maximization of business value
- Develop & implement analytics related technology strategies with senior management review
- Provide technology assessment and accommodations to complex business problems, leverage current and new technology to provide strategic solutions to the business
- Advocate for funding and manage the budget and realization of the product business cases
- Lead the planning of product releases, prioritization and set expectations for the delivery of new functionalities & platform upgrades; assure deadlines, standards & cost targets are met
- Effectively collaborate with stakeholders, help them understand key capabilities and benefits
- Maintain knowledge of product enhancements, vendor road maps, and product user needs
- Participate in releasing planning, demonstrations, and retrospectives with development teams
- Utilize Agile methodologies and keep up to date with best practices and new trends
- Lead development of relevant analytics platform business cases at a high quality to ensure effective and efficient approvals are obtained
- Overseeing completion of all development to highest standard
- Status reporting to the relevant steering committees (including benefits tracking)
- Lead the planning of product releases and platform upgrades
- Maintain program objectives, success measurements or key performance indicators (KPIs)
- In collaboration with other Group IT teams, regularly assess the ongoing ‘fit for purpose’ of the GCP platform to ensure maximum business value is realized
- Strong experience leading people, process and technology change related to analytics platform activities (including transforming large volumes of data & designing data architecture)
- Demonstrable experience of using Google Cloud to build analytics and data platforms (extensive expert level knowledge of Google BigQuery and Composer)
- Proven experience as a Product Manager in an agile software development environment
- IT background with experience across the systems development life cycle with experience in all project phases – plan, initiate, elaborate, design, build, test, implement
- Demonstrated ability to lead cross-functional teams without formal authority; and to prioritize regular workload, special tasks and concurrent projects, allocating time and resources to ensure that work is completed accurately and efficiently within established time frame
- Experience with driving innovation – technology innovations, strategic planning, continuous service improvement, launching new products and services
- Working knowledge of IT operations & business applications management, data security
- Hands on experience of data model design and ELT pipeline design and build and hands on coding experience in SQL and Python
Qualities and Attributes:
- Ability to communicate with diplomacy including sharing ideas and responding to criticism
- A self-starter who goes above and beyond the expected requirements of the role
- Work well under pressure and be able to prioritize to meet deadlines and quickly shift
- Team player attitude is mandatory
- Curiosity and enthusiasm for talking to end users and understanding their world
You must be eligible to work in this location advertised.
Our values define Inmarsat’s culture and represent what we believe in. Inmarsat employees aspire to certain behaviours which support our corporate values, they create a stronger working environment and lie at the heart of our continued success as an organisation.
- Accountability – taking ownership, getting results and keeping our promises
- Respect – collaborating, embracing diversity and valuing differences
- Excellence – creating bold solutions for our customers and putting quality at the heart of everything we do