Finance Manager, Aviation Business Unit
Inmarsat has been at the forefront of global mobile satellite communications for over forty years, and is the market leading provider of voice and high-speed data communications for users on land, at sea and in the air through its constellation of 14 geostationary satellites. Inmarsat is a privately owned company with a profitable track record and significant growth aspirations. This is represented by more than 55 nationalities in the workforce, reflecting the global and dynamic nature of the business. With an investment of over $3 billion in its latest network infrastructure, Inmarsat is at the forefront of global mobile communications innovation.
Chief Finance Office
Inmarsat’s Chief Finance Office (CFO) processes millions of transactions a month that enable us to interact efficiently with our suppliers, customers, trading partners and regulators. We make sure that the Company is properly funded and well controlled, that our taxes are paid and that shareholders and banks continue to support our plans. Our commercial teams help ensure that the business takes sound decisions through robust planning, careful pricing, sound contracts, skilled procurement and rigorous evaluation of every major business decision.
Primary role purpose:
Provide robust and efficient analysis to the VP Finance of the Aviation Business Unit. Support the VP Finance to provide a comprehensive, responsive, commercially focused, high quality financial management function both directly and by drawing on the shared services provided elsewhere within the Finance organisation.
Work closely with the VP Finance to build and deliver high quality annual and medium-term strategic plans for the business unit that are in line with the overall Group strategy and direction.
Ensure that the operations of the BU are well coordinated with the wider Group, taking advantage of synergy opportunities and ensuring that the BU works seamlessly and constructively with the rest of the Group.
- Support the VP Finance to ensure that the actual financial and operational results of the BU are provided to the BU management team on an accurate and timely basis together with a concise, action orientated, business focused commentary.
- Support the VP Finance to ensure that the BU has in place an up to date, high quality full year forecast that reflects all relevant material issues and business plans, is prepared on a timely basis, shows the road map by which the required full year results will be delivered and which is owned by BU line management.
- Support the VP Finance to ensure that the BU has in place a high quality Annual Business Plan and Budget that reflects all relevant material issues and business plans, is consistent with and delivers the results required by the Long Range Business Plan for the BU and Group, is prepared on a timely basis and is owned by BU line management.
- Support the VP Finance to ensure that the BU has in place a high quality Long Range Business Plan that reflects all relevant material issues and business plans, is consistent with and delivers the results required by the Group, is prepared on a timely basis and is owned by BU line management.
- Support the VP Finance to proactively and reactively provide ad hoc financial and operational analysis and advice that will help the BU President and their management team to deliver optimal operational performance through high quality strategic and tactical business decisions.
- Be proactively involved in preparation for all BU business cases, taking a lead or support role as necessary but always ensuring that concise high-quality business case is prepared in support of all major business decisions. Together with the VP Finance, ensure that the actual financial return all projects is monitored against the originally planned outcome and that necessary action is taken accordingly.
- To systematically and objectively review the performance of the business both actual and forecast, working with the VP Finance to ensure that all material issues and opportunities are promptly identified and addressed.
- To play a proactive, catalytic, business and action orientated role in the BU, by supporting the VP Finance to efficiently deliver the best medium term financial and operational results possible from the BU.
- Support the VP Finance to proactively provide constructive, high quality commercially focused financial advice to the BU President and the BU leadership team in support of the BU goals and performance.
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
- Graduate with professional accounting qualification or equivalent
- Four to seven years of progressive experience in accounting, financial modelling and analysis within quality companies. At least half of the time should have been spent in commercial finance roles.
- Superior analytical skills coupled with good strategic business understanding leading to key business insight.
- Creative problem solver and decision maker.
- Ability to draw high quality analysis out of the results that drive decisions in the BU.
- Strong people skills, confident and comfortable at engaging collaboratively in an intellectual and multinational environment at all levels. Strong verbal and written communications skills
- A commercially astute Finance Manager, the candidate must be technically strong, and influential with the ability to operate at both strategic and operational levels.
- Strong work ethic and ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment with passion for excellence and innovation.
- Proactive individual with the ability to effectively manage various projects while adhering to deadlines.
- Have a good appreciation of core best practice financial accounting standards, policies, processes and systems.
- Ability to travel and work across cultures and time zones.
Desirable Knowledge and Skills:
- Relevant industry experience including a working knowledge of Satcom, Telco or Aviation market dynamics is good but not essential.
- Experience of SAP, Tableau and Adaptive Insights systems an advantage.
You must be eligible to work in this location advertised.
Our values define Inmarsat’s culture and represent what we believe in. Inmarsat employees aspire to certain behaviours which support our corporate values, they create a stronger working environment and lie at the heart of our continued success as an organisation.
- Accountability – taking ownership, getting results and keeping our promises
- Respect – collaborating, embracing diversity and valuing differences
- Excellence – creating bold solutions for our customers and putting quality at the heart of everything we do