Principal Geotechnical Engineer (Water)
Fresh Challenge, New Opportunity
We're big thinkers who love finding solutions to difficult problems, and we're passionate about using our skills to make an impact, working on high profile projects in the AMP7 and Q&SV regulatory cycle and for key clients such as the Ministry of Defence and HS2.
The water sector has always been one of our core markets and because of our success in building a wide variety of water and wastewater assets, Amey Water Consulting has become a significant provider of water design services. With a growing team of over 100 water designers, working across our 9 water design offices throughout the UK we are continuing to add to our already extensive and impressive list of project awards.
Due to increased workload we are seeking to recruit a Principal Geotechnical Engineer. The successful candidate will be responsible for establishing and developing our Geotechnical capability and become our single point of contract for advice and guidance on all Geotechnical matters.
Being an experienced Principal Geotechnical Engineer at Amey Water Consulting, you'll have the chance to focus on the parts of your role you most enjoy. Whether it's delivering projects on time, within budget and to the required quality, providing guidance to less experienced staff, working more closely with clients, or having the opportunity to develop leadership capabilities, our environment is one of collaboration and support where the direction of your career is led by you.
We actively support agile/flexible working. Ideally, this role will be based in or around Central Scotland; however, we are open to receiving applications from candidates from across the UK to be based at one of our regional offices or on a remote basis.
In a typical week you will:
- Manage and develop our Geotechnical capability, and become our single point of contact for advice and guidance on all Geotechnical related matters
- Deliver a wide range of geotechnical consultancy work and provide technically sound solutions, fully compliant with Eurocode 7, directly in support of the regional design and delivery teams for a variety of Water sector clients
- Promote best Geotechnical practice, drive improved geotechnical awareness and performance, and develop our internal geotechnical standards and ways of working
- Scope plan and manage effective ground investigations to facilitate all project design requirements.
- Advise on technical and procedural geotechnical aspects of projects, and provide overall guidance on best methods and practice to meet technical and project requirements
- To develop and manage a select list of external sub-consultants for use where capability and/or capacity requires it
- Liaise with Clients on technical matters and maintain a strong working relationship
- Liaise with stakeholders regarding project matters and provide technical reports, permits, responses to queries etc. as required by the project
- Assess tender and project requirements from a geotechnical perspective and prepare fee estimates for the associated environmental input
- Contribute to the business development process and produce technical content for PQQ and Tenders
- Project administration reporting to line management including monitoring geotechnical design programme delivery, resources, and budgets
We want to hear from you if you have/are:
- Bachelor or Masters' Degree in Geotechnical Engineering, Engineering Geology or Civil Engineering (with strong geotechnical ability and experience)
- Chartered Engineer (C.Eng, C.Geol) or experience equivalent to relevant competency requirements
- Have significant post-qualification experience in the Geotechnical field
- Experience in a multi-disciplinary environment is advantageous
- You are a technical expert in providing geotechnical guidance, support and challenge
- Broad capability in geotechnical design-earthworks, tunnelling, Water and Wastewater buried and above ground infrastructure.
- Ability to identify the scope of geotechnical deliverables and incorporate them into a priced programme of work
- You can provide technical advice on regulatory compliance and other geotechnical subjects
- Can lead discussions with Regulators, and other stakeholders on geotechnical matters
- Act as the single point of contact for the project for compiling internal and external geotechnical approvals/ consents/ permits
- Sound knowledge including statutory processes and technical standards.
- Knowledge of current H&S legislation and the CDM Regulations
- Strong management and co-ordination skills
- Problem solving and technical realisation skills
Our rewards make us feel valued here at Amey Consulting. If you're happy, you'll think better. It's a simple formula but one that puts your wellbeing as a top priority, that's why we've worked hard to build a reward and benefits program that puts you first, including;
- Competitive salary
- Company bonus
- Exceptional development and progression plan
- Contributory Pension Scheme
- Minimum 25 days holiday + Bank Holidays
- Additional Leave Purchase Scheme
- Amey Rewards Portal including healthcare, free GP service, dental and childcare vouchers