Sustainability Insight Analyst
Sustainability Insight Analyst
Laing O'Rourke is seeking an experienced analyst to lead insight generation for our sustainability team. This role will administratively report into the Data & Analytics team and operationally to the Environmental and Sustainability Team.
In this role you will be taking ownership of sustainability data from our construction and business activities across our full range of data capture methods and using it to influence all aspects of sustainability decision-making. You will partner with sustainability teams to help them understand the drivers behind the performance of their continuous improvement efforts and help shape their future strategy. You will be responsible for agreeing with key performance indicators and metrics, establishing appropriate reporting and explaining the drivers behind changes in performance. You will also analyse raw data held in our data platform relating to sustainability. You will work with the data platform and technology teams to productionise the targeted opportunities you identify.
While experience analysing raw datasets in SQL/Python would be advantageous, we are primarily seeking candidates with experience using data analysis and insight generation to inform decision-making.
How you will contribute?
- Understand and document sustainability systems, processes and data
- Collaborate closely with sustainability teams to understand their needs
- Manipulate data from internal and external sources and develop use cases to meet business targets
- Work with our implementation teams to ensure we are tracking necessary data internally
- Analyse these datasets using a combination of tools including SQL, Python, PowerBI and others
- Produce and communicate insight relating to sustainability performance
- Agree KPIs for measuring performance and establish appropriate reporting at a corporate and project level
- Participate in strategic discussions and make recommendations based on insights you uncover
- Develop business cases for investments in technology and data
- Adhere and contribute to standards and best practices with the central data & analytics team
These are the types of data and specific responsibilities:
- The compilation and review of embodied carbon data for Environmental Performance Declarations (EPDs)
- Data requests and handling of corporate CO2 reporting
- Updating monthly and annual reports across the function. This includes Business Performance Reports (BPR), updating monthly KPI reports, Handling and the production for annual external Sustainability Reporting
- Support statistical analysis of Environmental and Energy Management Systems (EMS & EnMS) to demonstrate continuous improvement
- Audit analysis
- Waste, water, energy and the wider sustainability data handling and analysis.
- Support the business requirements analysis for improving current environmental sustainability data sources including digitisation of information and technology investment (e.g. Scope 3 carbon emissions)
Experience, skills and professional attributes
- Ability to examine data critically including its quality to extract meaningful insights
- Ability to communicate findings clearly to non-technical colleagues
- Experience producing insight from data related to sustainability
- Strong data visualisation skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Detail-oriented and methodical
- Ability to write and interpret SQL queries
- Engineering / Computer Science / Statistics Degree with Masters Preferred or equivalent experience
Additional Skills that will be sought after and valued:
- Prior experience in business analysis, data modelling and design, requirements definition and management
- An applied understanding of data management principles and practices
- The ability to work under time pressure while providing high quality output
- Experience with one or more programming languages, preferably Python
- Hands-on knowledge of data toolkits such as Numpy/Pandas, etc.
- Theoretical or applied understanding of statistics and mathematics
- Hands-on knowledge of unsupervised and supervised machine learning methods
- Ability to leverage integration tools such as APIs, Web Services, JDBC/ODBC connectors, and other integration technologies
The ideal candidate will have: strong characteristics of rigor; demonstrate creative and innovative thinking; be pragmatic, empathetic, customer and service oriented; possess clear and effective communication skills; have the ability to take a stand, make and receive feedback, provide solutions; be result oriented and have the ability to make choices and be held accountable for those conclusions.
We are an international engineering and construction company delivering state-of-the-art infrastructure and buildings projects for clients in the UK, Middle East and Australia.
Certainty, reliability, quality - this is what our clients want. And at Laing O'Rourke, we have more than 150 years of experience delivering it.
Laing O'Rourke's story is one of energy, passion, ambition, people and teamwork. We harness the power of our experience, stretching back over a century and a half to deliver certainty for our clients.
Diversity & Sustainability:
We value and care about difference at Laing O'Rourke and believe a diverse team drives innovation.
We are a global multicultural business committed to the inclusion of all employees, enabling everyone to feel accepted, respected & valued for being themselves.
We have set out far-reaching global sustainability targets including a commitment to achieve equal numbers of men and women amongst our global staff by 2033. For more information, please visit: https://www.laingorourke.com/company/sustainability/diversity/
We want to ensure our recruitment process is accessible to all. If you need the application form in an alternative format or you would like to know more about our recruitment process, please email