Senior Delivery Manager
About the job
We welcome applications from all communities, and we don’t discriminate against any identity. We’re interested to hear from you, regardless of your background.
Are you good at developing relationships with stakeholders?
Do you have experience of running projects using agile techniques?
Are you passionate about driving delivery improvement forward and making a real difference?
If so, we would love to hear from you!
Although this role is being advertised as national, the Delivery Management team is based at Maritime & Coastguard Agency HQ in Southampton. Regular travel will be required, as well as travel to customer locations.
The MCA has a reputation of working at pace and ensuring that the right outcomes are delivered. We are an inclusive and diverse workforce and offer great career development opportunities across the Agency. One of those opportunities is within the delivery management team.
This role provides you with an exciting opportunity to lead a key function within delivery management at the MCA, helping to shape and build an environment that makes a real difference for the UK public. We need someone who understands agile practices and can apply them to our projects.
You will be involved in the IT transformation programme that will deliver improved capability across an expanded IT workforce and will lead the effective delivery of complex, high risk products and services. You will own this portfolio and be responsible for the whole stream of work alongside coaching and mentoring Delivery Managers.
Things You Should Know:
It’s a truly rewarding time to join the team, with the existing and upcoming projects, work pattern and embedded culture within the Agency.
Your responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Implement and design the digital, data and technology delivery management strategy, policies and processes required for successful delivery of the technology portfolio
• Manage the portfolio including effective prioritisation of incoming requirements
• Lead all aspects of the delivery of MCA's digital, data and technology projects and initiatives, including applications and infrastructure, with a focus on large and medium-size projects, according to the project allocation priorities set by the Head of Delivery Management
• Set up and support the relationships with project sponsors and key stakeholders of the projects they lead, understanding their priorities and demands
• Achieve agreed objectives within time, cost and quality constraints
Please see the attached job description for a more detailed breakdown of the role and requirements.
You are a proficient leader who can establish trust with stakeholders with ease. You’ll need to be resilient and tenacious as workloads can change and have great attention to detail.
As a Senior Delivery Manager, you will have experience in using agile and lean techniques to ensure the best outcome.
You are a confident decision maker and can communicate these decisions in a concise and clear manner ensuring your audience is taken into consideration.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Managing a Quality Service
- Working Together
- Communicating and Influencing
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Digital, Data and Technology Profession - Delivery Manager - Agile and Lean practices - Level 4
- Digital, Data and Technology Profession - Delivery Manager - Communication skills - level 4
- Digital, Data and Technology Profession - Delivery Manager - Maintaining delivery momentum - Level 4
- Digital, Data and Technology Profession - Delivery Manager - Making the process work - Level 4
- Digital, Data and Technology Profession - Delivery Manager - Planning - Level 4
- Digital, Data and Technology Profession - Delivery Manager - Team dynamics and collaboration - Level 3
Being part of our amazing civil service will include some of the benefits below:
• 25 days holiday + bank holidays
• Generous pension
• Mental Wellbeing support network
• Blue light card
• Professional training opportunities
• In house training & development opportunities
• Generous maternity/paternity pay
Find out what it's like to work at the Maritime and Coastguard Agency
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
People working with government assets must complete basic personnel security standard checks.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours, Experience and Technical skills.
We are closely monitoring the situation regarding the coronavirus, and will be following central Government advice as it is issued. There is therefore a risk that recruitment to this post may be subject to change at short notice. In addition, where appropriate, you may be invited to attend a video interview.
Please continue to follow the application process as normal and ensure that you check your emails regularly as all updates from us will be sent to you this way.
As part of the application process you will be asked to complete a CV and statement of suitability. Further details around what this will entail are listed on the application form.
When considering how your experience relates to the role, please tailor your CV and Statement of Suitability to demonstrate:
• Your experience running projects using agile and lean techniques• Experience developing relationships with stakeholders meeting their requirements and expectations
• Managing conflicting demand and an ability to prioritise effectively
• Ability to demonstrate an understanding of the technology industry and industry trends
The sift is due to take place w/c 4th October 2021.
Interviews/assessments are likely to be held w/c 11th October 2021.
We will try to meet the dates set out in the advert. There may be occasions when these dates will change. You will be provided with sufficient notice of the confirmed dates.
The selection process will be designed specifically for the role. As a result, your assessment could include:
• an interview
• one or more exercises, like a presentation or a written exercise
You’re encouraged to become familiar with the role profile, as you may be assessed against any of the criteria recorded within.
Please see attached candidate notes for further information about our recruitment process
If you are experiencing accessibility problems with any attachments on this advert, please contact the email address in the 'Contact point for applicants' section
To learn more about applying for a role within the Department for Transport, visit the Application Process page of our Careers website.
Before submitting your application, we encourage you to visit our Things You Need to Know page for further information about applying for a role within the Department for Transport and the Civil Service.
Throughout this job advert there are links to the DfT Careers website, which provides you further information to support your application. Should you be unable to access the information on our website, please email DRGComms@dft.gov.uk for assistance.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
This job is broadly open to the following groups:
- UK nationals
- nationals of Commonwealth countries who have the right to work in the UK
- nationals of the Republic of Ireland
- nationals from the EU, EEA or Switzerland with settled or pre-settled status or who apply for either status by the deadline of the European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS)
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals working in the Civil Service
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals who have built up the right to work in the Civil Service
- certain family members of the relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further information
Once this job has closed, the job advert will no longer be available. You may want to save a copy for your records.
Contact point for applicants Job contact : Name : Dan Craggs Email : Dan.Craggs@mcga.gov.uk Recruitment team : Email : email@example.com Further information
If you feel your application has not been treated in accordance with the Recruitment Principles and you wish to make a complaint, in the first instance, you should contact Government Recruitment Services via email: firstname.lastname@example.org If you are not satisfied with the response you receive from the Department, you can contact the Civil Service Commission: Click here (https://civilservicecommission.independent.gov.uk/) to visit Civil Service Commission
Attachments 20210831 Senior Delivery Manager - Role Profile Opens in new window(docx, 54kB) Candidate Notes Opens in new window(pdf, 823kB) Candidate Guidance for CV and Personal Statement Opens in new window(pdf, 405kB)