Inmarsat has been at the forefront of global mobile satellite communications for over forty years, and is the market leading provider of voice and high-speed data communications for users on land, at sea and in the air through its constellation of 14 geostationary satellites. Inmarsat is a privately owned company with a profitable track record and significant growth aspirations. This is represented by more than 55 nationalities in the workforce, reflecting the global and dynamic nature of the business. With an investment of over $3 billion in its latest network infrastructure, Inmarsat is at the forefront of global mobile communications innovation.
Chief Operations Office
Inmarsat’s Chief Operations Office (COO) plays a vital role managing the services that keep our business running and delivering to our customers. COO consists of 9 functions including: Satellite Operations, Network Operations, Service Assurance, Service Delivery Aviation and Customer Assurance, Service Delivery and Supply Chain, Project Management Office, Global Cyber Security and Group IT
Primary role purpose:
As part of Inmarsat’s Operational network, multiple Datacentres provide key hosting environments for core network, compute and application type services. Inmarsat datacentres use Cisco, Canonical, AWS and VMware technologies to provide a robust and resilient platform that host many virtualised guests for various key applications and services that are offered as part of the BGAN and GX service. The Cloud Architect will be responsible for enhancing and supporting the core datacentre platform as well as core technologies that are at the edge of the datacentre and integrates with the legacy operational networks. The cloud architect should support in developing and coordinating the cloud architecture, support developing a cloud strategy, and supporting the adaptation process.
The Architect will be responsible for leading the development and maintenance of the Canonical, VMware and AWS estate as well as maintaining the Cisco UCS B-series and C-series compute infrastructure. The candidate should have an in-depth understanding of Public Cloud (AWS), Private Cloud (Canonical), storage solutions using Cisco FC switches and NetApp SAN's. This role will require advanced Cisco UCS, VMware, Canonical and storage-related administration skills. The engineer will be expected to show expertise to support 3rd line support, problem resolutions as well as demonstrate core design skills when participating in new project work.
The cloud architect will be the key operational cloud technology guide and mentor the cloud team in supporting the development of core skills. The cloud architect will act as a key consultant for the internal stakeholder in onboarding the new applications on the Inmarsat network operations Cloud environment.
- Leading the development and maintenance of the Canonical, VMware and AWS estate of Inmarsat operational network
- Lead the onboarding of new cloud infrastructure and technologies from the CTO organisation
- Lead the onboarding and migration of new applications on the Inmarsat network operation cloud infrastructure
- Support in design, build and set up the infrastructure for the onboarding and migration of new applications on the Inmarsat network operation cloud infrastructure
- Support the team and provide technical guidance in onboarding and maintaining new services
- Troubleshooting and resolving problems within the Inmarsat operational network cloud infrastructure
- Supporting root cause analysis of recurring issues which may require detailed scrutiny of large volumes of log files
- Ensuring that the cloud infrastructure maintains a high degree of security through the timely application of application and OS patches and releases
- Providing tools to automate repetitive tasks and to support efficient resolution of problems
- Work with vendors to stay abreast of industry best practices and make recommendations for the evolution of the datacentres and supporting systems
- Manage the lifecycle of hardware, applications and licences and ensure that vendor support is meeting service level agreements
- Provide out of hours support to the NOC as part of the on-call operations engineering team
- Work with the wider business to develop the Cloud strategy
- Support in defining the governance policies for onboarding the new services on the Inmarsat network operations cloud infrastructure
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
- Degree or equivalent qualification in computer science or relevant technical/engineering subject
- Cisco CCNP/CCIE Data Centre or equivalent qualification
- Canonical OpenStack, AWS, VMware VCP or VCAP qualification with practical hands-on experience of managing Canonical OpenStack, AWS, VMware estates
- Practical experience in Cisco UCS blade system
- Knowledge of routing and switching and preferably hands-on experience with Cisco and Juniper datacentre class switches
- Practical hands-on experience of Cisco MDS fibre channel switches; NetApp and Pure Storage SAN-based products
- In-depth knowledge of Linux operating systems
- Strong oral and written communication skills with the ability to present ideas and improvements in an effective and persuasive manner
- A practical, hands-on approach to problem-solving with the ability to work effectively under pressure
- Self-motivated, willing to take responsibility and work with minimum supervision
- International Travel may be required for short periods
- Experience with deploying Cisco Nexus products
- Experience with Cisco and Juniper firewalls
- Experience with Canonical private cloud and AWS Public Cloud
You must be eligible to work in this location advertised.
Our values define Inmarsat’s culture and represent what we believe in. Inmarsat employees aspire to certain behaviours which support our corporate values, they create a stronger working environment and lie at the heart of our continued success as an organisation.
· Accountability – taking ownership, getting results and keeping our promises
· Respect – collaborating, embracing diversity and valuing differences
· Excellence – creating bold solutions for our customers and putting quality at the heart of everything we do