Technical Fire Engineer - Structural
Technical Fire Engineer - Structural
Location: Dartford / Manchester / Worksop dependent upon home location
Through Laing O'Rourke's unique self-delivery model, we provide a single-source solution for some of the worlds most recognised organisations, with an exciting pipeline of major projects in sectors such as healthcare, science & research, residential, commercial, rail and data centres.
We are creating a new team of specialist technical fire engineers who will work across all sectors of the business, offering improved discipline capability and technical governance.
Key aspects of the Technical Fire Engineer role:
- To be the custodian of the LOR discipline knowledge base, owner of the discipline related standards and lead understanding / interpretation of emerging legislation.
- To provide a discipline oversight role on an intervention basis to support projects in appropriately driving technical consistency, and ensure Technical Integrity delivery through the complete project lifecycle in delivering a technically compliant facility.
- To conduct planned discipline technical audits on projects to ensure Technical Integrity is maintained through the complete project lifecycle from early design stage, detailed design, site delivery, commissioning, handover and aftercare support.
- To provide a focal point within the Business to address specific technical issues that may arise during the execution of projects.
- To work with LOR external consultants and liaise at project level where required.
- To provide assistance in passing knowledge and development of apprentices, graduates and engineers to aid their development.
Requirements for the Role:
- Given the nature of the role, it requires someone possessing significant discipline experience to a minimum of 10 years in a senior position, allied with the gravitas and interpersonal skills to interact effectively with clients, third parties and project teams to achieve the required outcomes.
- In depth understanding of how structural elements react under fire conditions.
- In depth understanding how structural elements interface with building materials under fire.
- Good knowledge of how MEP support systems react under fire.
- In depth knowledge of Building regulations and associated standards and Guidance
- Member of a Professional Institution (eg, IStructE) and be CEng status or prepared to achieve such status within two years of appointment.
Don't match all the criteria? We are open and always happy to hear from people with transferable skill sets and a commitment to learning.
- We are an international engineering and construction company delivering state-of-the-art infrastructure and buildings projects for clients in the UK, Middle East and Australia.
- Certainty, reliability, quality - this is what our clients want. And at Laing O'Rourke, we have more than 150 years of experience delivering it.
- Laing O'Rourke's story is one of energy, passion, ambition, people and teamwork. We harness the power of our experience, stretching back over a century and a half to deliver certainty for our clients.
Diversity & Sustainability:
- We value and care about difference at Laing O'Rourke and believe a diverse team drives innovation.
- We are a global multicultural business committed to the inclusion of all employees, enabling everyone to feel accepted, respected & valued for being themselves.
- We have set out far-reaching global sustainability targets including a commitment to achieve equal numbers of men and women amongst our global staff by 2033. For more information, please visit: https://www.laingorourke.com/company/sustainability/diversity/
- We want to ensure our recruitment process is accessible to all. If you need the application form in an alternative format or you would like to know more about our recruitment process, please email