Junior Buyer - Toys & Games
We have a fantastic opportunity for an experienced Junior Buyer to join our team, based in our High Street Head Office in Swindon. The main purpose of the role is to drive sales and ensure maximum profitability via front line margin and supplier support within the Toys and Games categories.
The role requires an organised individual capable of managing complex information and who is an effective negotiator.
The role offers full responsibility for developing ranges, promotional activity and supplier management for the Toys and Games categories. The successful candidate will need to demonstrate excellent range building skills, strong negotiation techniques and effective management of suppliers.
We are looking for an enthusiastic individual who is keen to work in a fast paced environment and will work well in a team.
• Buying responsibility for specific categories
• Direct range and supplier ownership of Toys and Games categories
• Responsible for leading direction and trading of both areas
• Negotiation of deals to drive income
• Generating new ideas on how to grow YOY Sales, margin and income
• Managing and implementing promotional activity across the categories
• Building up strong relationships with suppliers to deliver effective and profitable plans
• Able to deliver meaningful reports and cut through the information / detail in order to get to the real issue
• Keeping abreast of market trends and competitor activity in a fast paced environment, to help identify new opportunities as well as changes to our existing offering
• Working closely with other areas of the business including Operations, Marketing and Finance team.
The Requirements for the Role
• Previous experience within a retail Buying role, ideally within one of our core categories
• Confident and approachable
• Enthusiastic and excited about the product
• Able to work cross functionally across teams (merchandising, marketing, operations etc)
• Net understanding of business (i.e. buying and stock)
• Strong presentation skills
• Strong negotiation skills
• Uses creative thought process – on product, promotions, displays, deals etc
• Effective relationship management with suppliers
• Excellent numerical capability, with strong analysis experience
• Experience of using Microsoft Excel and functions such as Vlookups and Pivot Tables
• Proven track record of delivering strong levels of supplier income
• Remains calm under pressure
• Educated to degree standard or equivalent
Whoever joins us always receives excellent training and development opportunities. You can also expect a competitive salary and excellent benefits that includes a profit related bonus, 24 days holiday, store discount card and childcare vouchers. For customer focus, career focused individuals this all adds up to a unique opportunity.
If successful, candidates will be required to provide a valid passport, undertake a criminal record check and provide 3 years of continuous educational, professional or employment references. Due to the high number of applications we receive, it is with regret that we are unable to respond to all applications and therefore will only contact short listed candidates.