Market Development Director
- 99 City Rd, London, UK Full-time
- Level: Employee - Standard
Inmarsat has been at the forefront of global mobile satellite communications for over forty years, and is the market leading provider of voice and high-speed data communications for users on land, at sea and in the air through its constellation of 14 geostationary satellites. Inmarsat is a privately owned company with a profitable track record and significant growth aspirations. This is represented by more than 55 nationalities in the workforce, reflecting the global and dynamic nature of the business. With an investment of over $3 billion in its latest network infrastructure, Inmarsat is at the forefront of global mobile communications innovation.
Inmarsat’s Government business unit delivers against the requirements for voice, data and video services with demand for global availability and utmost reliability. Whether a military commander on operations, a government official responding to a local emergency or a head of state conducting international affairs, Inmarsat provides them with essential access to voice and broadband data, where and when they need it.
Primary role purpose:
This role will identify the priority regions in line with our identified strategic verticals, and will be responsible for developing compelling go-to-market strategies under consideration of global market trends, competitive development and key customer needs for each identified priority, as well as working with Sales to deliver a go to market plan for new geographies.
Working with Market research analysts this role will set priorities for analysis, research and insights outputs to support our sales team with quantitative data reports and qualitative analysis.
In close collaboration with the sales, commercial and technical teams, this role correlates relevant Market information and provides market direction and insight into the Strategy function as a key input into the BU’s strategy development and execution.
The successful applicant will add value by leading G2’s analysis of market data, liaising with G2’s Market Development, Marketing, Strategy, Sales and Commercial leads to identify emerging trends, issues, and government modelling in untapped geographies and verticals.
1) Create, own and deliver a Market Development plan assessing the market potential and pitfalls for the key new market areas and
- Plan and implement Customer Needs analysis
- Undertake an annual G2 customer qualitative research project
- Provide recommendations on most attractive markets based on ease of entry, market demand, potential profit and geo-political, regulatory & economic considerations
- Deliver a market prioritization model to be implemented by the Business Unit
2) Develop and own market penetration plans for new geographies aligned with Business Unit strategies
- Provide direction on the best methods available for meeting the demands of the priority market verticals that have been identified by the Strategy and Market Development teams
- Devise and implement a plan for market analysis and segmentation activities to feed into the Long Range Business plan
- Identify, analyze and advise on growth opportunities in new geographies and verticals for new and existing products
3) Lead on analysis of strategic relationships, competitor strength and market structure for a given regional priority as part of Market Development strategy for geographic expansion
- Plan and conduct Competitor Analysis in conjunction with Market Development team
- Research and present on possible strategic partnerships and alliances
- Establish government requirements for local partner involvement and analyse prospective partners as well as current ones for best fit
4) Work with marketing team to establish a specific market segment objectives and positioning strategies.
- Building strategic new market development plans and determining the best value propositions for our solutions
- Working with marketing team to define the best way to demonstrate this value to the target customers they have defined.
- Assuring that the market development strategy is consistent with the overall related business unit and corporate blue chips.
- Helping to define the target customer, differentiated value propositions, and competitive analysis
- Working with the commercial team to develop go-to-market strategies for new solutions, geographies or major OEMs (together with the sales teams)
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
- Demonstrable experience as part of a high caliber sales/business development team, preferably in an international government setting
- A proven track record in developing market entry/development plans for new territories and markets, which have generated rapid business growth.
- Experience in directing quantitative and qualitative research in support of business/MD plans.
- Self-motivated with an ability to drive outcomes through collaboration with a range of teams across different disciplines.
- Strong stakeholder management skills with and ability to articulately and convincingly communicate plans in written form and via oral presentations.
- Degree Qualified in Marketing, Business Administration or other related field (desirable, not essential)
You must be eligible to work in this location advertised.
Our values define Inmarsat’s culture and represent what we believe in. Inmarsat employees aspire to certain behaviours which support our corporate values, they create a stronger working environment and lie at the heart of our continued success as an organisation.
· Accountability – taking ownership, getting results and keeping our promises
· Respect – collaborating, embracing diversity and valuing differences
· Excellence – creating bold solutions for our customers and putting quality at the heart of everything we do