Senior Sustainability Manager
Willmott Dixon Interiors is passionate about leaving the right sort of social, environmental, and economic legacy, and to ensure we achieve these ambitions we are recruiting a Senior Sustainability Manager.
Sustainability has been at the heart of our business since 1852 and our sustainability strategy, 'Now or Never', outlines a bold, new vision for our business along with a series of ambitions to be achieved by 2030. To achieve our strategic aims, we need an experienced Senior Sustainability Manager to join our team and help lead the business technically in the areas of sustainable building design and performance.
The Senior Sustainability Manager will be responsible for implementing the strategic ambitions outlined in the Brilliant Buildings section of our Now or Never strategy. They will understand the Net Zero Carbon agenda, be aware of current and future trends affecting the built environment and be knowledgeable in the latest sustainable design standards and methodologies (e.g. UKGBC net zero carbon buildings framework, BREEAM / WELL etc). This person will also have a keen eye for detail and have interests in demonstrating how sustainable design adds value to our customer service offerings.
The successful person will be working in a time-challenged environment that values flexible and innovative thinking. Strong communication and relationship management skills are essential, coupled with an ability to influence through others. Training, supporting, and coaching of our technical teams within the design and preconstruction functions will be required. You will have an excellent understanding of how building projects are designed and procured (e.g. RIBA Plan of Work) and ideally have relevant experience working for either a design consultancy or principal contractor.
Reporting to the Head of Sustainability, you will be responsible for:
- Technically leading the strategic ambitions of the business in relation to sustainable building design and performance
- Understanding and communicating the Net Zero Carbon agenda as it relates to buildings and the built environment more generally
- Ensuring our projects consistently deliver the company's sustainability strategy including themes such as embodied carbon, lifecycle costing, and designing for performance
- Collaborating with and influencing our senior management teams and technical delivery teams to help drive change across the relevant functions of the business
- Ensuring sustainable solutions relating to building design and performance are integrated into our customer propositions during preconstruction and design phases
- Researching and communicating latest industry developments, policies and regulations relating to sustainability, buildings, design and performance - e.g. UKGBC, LETI, NABERS, BRE etc.
- Technically reviewing and managing our approach to delivering certifiable sustainable assessment methodologies - e.g. BREEAM, SKA, FitWell and WELL
- Supporting our work winning activities by writing bids and tenders and attending customer interviews
- Building a professional network and developing relationships with key supply chain partners including design consultants and manufacturers
- Facilitating sustainability workshops and technical reviews throughout the journey of a project - from design through to handover
- Raising awareness/ upskilling our people in the areas of sustainable design and building performance
- Analysing and interpreting technical information relating to the Net Zero Carbon agenda and how it affects the design and performance of buildings
- Technical knowledge and experience of implementing embodied carbon, life cycle costing and other essential methodologies relating to building design
- Understanding of relevant industry standards relating to building energy performance, design, monitoring, and verification in use - e.g. NABERS and CIBSE TM 54
- Ideally be an Accredited Professional for both BREEAM and WELL sustainable design standards
- Experience influencing and advising technical teams
- Be able to interpret and present technical information in a way that engages and enthuses our people and customers
- Professional membership of a relevant environmental / engineering institute
- Using Microsoft suite of Office programmes; inc. Excel, Word, Outlook and Project
- Construction / Consultancy industry experience
At Willmott Dixon we provide an inclusive and flexible working environment for people to thrive in and we are happy to support agile working wherever possible.
We are a proud member of the Disability Confident Scheme.In return we provide you a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits package to fit your lifestyle and priorities, the opportunities for you to develop your career with Willmott Dixon and the training to make this happen - but most importantly a great place to work with a true family ethos and a chance to develop your career of a lifetime!
We are proud to be part of the Willmott Dixon family; a privately-owned contracting and interior fit out group in the UK. With a rich history, amazing track record and strong values, this partnership makes us a stronger and more progressive organisation, allowing us to share knowledge and take on bigger and better projects.
Willmott Dixon has very recently been awarded 5th place in the Sunday Times Best Companies Top 100 (2020) to work for, the Times Top 50 Employers for Women 2021 and is the first major contractor and developer to win a Queen's Award for Enterprise in the category of sustainable development.