RF and Antenna Systems Engineer
Inmarsat has been at the forefront of global mobile satellite communications for over forty years, and is the market leading provider of voice and high-speed data communications for users on land, at sea and in the air through its constellation of 14 geostationary satellites. Inmarsat is a privately owned company with a profitable track record and significant growth aspirations. This is represented by more than 55 nationalities in the workforce, reflecting the global and dynamic nature of the business. With an investment of over $3 billion in its latest network infrastructure, Inmarsat is at the forefront of global mobile communications innovation.
Chief Operations Office
Inmarsat’s Chief Operations Office (COO) plays a vital role managing the services that keep our business running and delivering to our customers. COO consists of 9 functions including: Satellite Operations, Network Operations, Service Assurance, Service Delivery Aviation and Customer Assurance, Service Delivery and Supply Chain, Project Management Office, Global Cyber Security and Group IT
Primary role purpose:
The Platform Engineering Group (PE) is responsible for all new and legacy Radio Frequency Systems and Antennas introduced into the Inmarsat network including RF system architecture, verification and integration both within COO and CTO by on boarding new services. The group are also responsible for third line engineering on-call support to the Operation teams.
The group is looking for a self-motivated individual to provide expert guidance and leadership with regards to all aspects of satellite communications ground systems engineering. The successful candidate shall have both practical and academic experience to support those objectives.
The successful candidate will ensure that Inmarsat requirements and schedules are delivered on time, on budget and to the right standards. The primary elements of the role will involve the review, assessment and recommendation of earth station systems and antennas from concept through design, manufacture and sub system and verification testing to final delivery. Also to provide enhancement design proposals on existing RF services to meet Roadmap and Life cycle management of RF equipment’s.
This role will provide the opportunity to be involved in and lead a variety of ground station programs and will require regular travel to ground station sites or manufacturer locations. The responsibilities of this post will also include operational support to the network and satellite operation departments in London for our ground station network.
- Act as third line technical support on our RF and antennas global network, would be a part of the daily tasks to support, hence this is the core of our wide responsibilities.
- Be part of the Inmarsat ground station systems design and development activities with primary focus on earth station radio systems and equipment down to component level, antennas and all associated monitor and control systems.
- Orchestrate and lead the Earth Stations verification process for testing existing or new earth station systems introduced into the ground network. Cooperate with other Inmarsat teams for the coordination and support of such activities
- Lead in system specification, design, integration, test campaigns and handover to Operations. Support the procurement team and drive new ground station system infrastructure procurement tasks, including radio-frequency systems and antennas.
- Produce, maintain and be responsible for all documentation and analysis required at various stages, including interface control.
- Delivery of projects, with consideration of the cost/benefit impact when developing or considering new ideas
- Guide and work with vendors for timely delivery of radio system, antenna and control system projects, ensuring that Inmarsat’s requirements are fulfilled
- Ensuring the excellent quality of Ground Station Systems deployed to Inmarsat operations by applying appropriate system testing methods and processes
- Provide COO governance for earth station radio frequency system and antenna developments for all new Inmarsat programmes and follow on new technological developments with CTO
- At times, manage or supervise project or functional activities and maintain strong internal and/or external customer relations.
- Support the London based engineering and operational / NOC team as required
- Be on–call for the radio systems of the ground network
- Provide timely reporting to management for critical and routine activities
- Provide leadership for earth station radio frequency system and antenna developments for all new Inmarsat programmes
- Act as a valuable corporate member by embracing Inmarsat values, demonstrating and applying a solid understanding of corporate strategy and business focus when necessary.
- Be able to provide expert technical support using antenna remote management and RFS Operations cloud infrastructure
Essential knowledge, skills and experience:
- Experience in ground station system design, integration and test from equipment level through to station level
- Solid experience in RF design, support and verification testing with particular emphasis on radio systems including antennas and monitor and control systems
- Track record of earth station architecture, facilities licensing and operations
- Expert with RF communication technology, systems and equipment, such as antenna systems (i.e., mainly Cassegrain; tracking antennas), high and low noise amplifiers, frequency convertors, analog-to-digital/digital-to-analogue converter, modem, etc.
- Solid understanding of analogue and digital communications.
- Communication system and link analysis including budgets (link, transmission etc)
- Experience in analysis of supplier data and presentation of performance (e.g. G/T, EIRP, linearity etc)
- In-depth understanding and hands-on experience for the testing of communications equipment, earth station systems and antennas.
- Previous earth station, antennas measurement and testing experience will be considered an advantage.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Experience of preparing business cases and SoW’s for various RFS bids as well as capable to support senior management and procurement team with balanced technical-corporate feedback.
- Excellent communication skills with people at all levels of the organization
- Thinks broadly and achieves business results, not only as an individual but also as key team member
Desirable knowledge, skills and experience:
- Expert writing and reporting skills, as well as presentations.
- A passionate desire to take the organization as far as it can go
- Proficient knowledge and understanding of satellite and antenna design, assembly integration & test
- A demonstrated ability to work across organizational boundaries
- Objective, rational and multidisciplinary thinking
- Courage to act upon convictions
- Flexibility to relocate place of work potentially across different continents
- Demonstrated ability to be able to influence contractors staff and achieve success in situations via coherent discussion and persuasion for situations where a contractual mandate is not in place
- A high degree of integrity
- Ability to provide candid feedback
- Ability to face up to problems quickly and take action
- A willingness to be self-critical and learn from mistakes – avoiding hubris
- Acts within her or his circle of competence and knows the boundary
- Be self-sufficient within a team of experts and be able to motivate and promote Inmarsat values.
- Membership of professional institutions (IEEE, IET etc)
You must be eligible to work in this location advertised.
Our values define Inmarsat’s culture and represent what we believe in. Inmarsat employees aspire to certain behaviours which support our corporate values, they create a stronger working environment and lie at the heart of our continued success as an organisation.
- Accountability – taking ownership, getting results and keeping our promises
- Respect – collaborating, embracing diversity and valuing differences
- Excellence – creating bold solutions for our customers and putting quality at the heart of everything we do