Principal Sustainable Development Manager
Principal Sustainable Development Manager
Willmott Dixon is passionate about leaving the right social, environmental and economic legacy. To support our continued success, we are recruiting a Principal Sustainable Development Manager to make an impact across the Willmott Dixon family of companies.
Sustainability and social value have been at the heart of our business for the last 170 years and with our new sector-leading sustainability strategy, 'Now or Never', focussing us on delivering Brilliant Buildings, Building Lives and a Better Planet by 2030, there really is no better time to join us!
Sitting within the award-winning Group Sustainability team, based in Letchworth, Hertfordshire, we are looking for an enthusiastic and engaged individual to act as a business partner to a key part of our business in England. You will develop and implement a new business-specific sustainability strategy and plan aligned to 'Now or Never' that enthuses its people and improves the sustainability of the business.
You will be a self-starter, who loves a challenge, is tenacious and able to work agilely in an empowered environment that values initiative and innovative thinking. You will be tenacious and be able to think strategically but be equally comfortable with the detail of defining and delivering tactical solutions. Strong communication and relationship management skills are essential, coupled with an ability to influence and deliver through others.
This will be a hybrid role which will involve a combination of working at our head office in Letchworth Garden City and some remote working.
Reporting to the Head of Partnerships and Innovation you will be responsible for:
- Developing a new sustainability strategy, policy, and targets
- Developing and implementing an action plan and reporting for the realisation of the sustainability strategy, its ambitions, and targets
- Analysing data, conducting research and identifying opportunities to implement innovative solutions to improve the sustainability performance of our business
- Embedding changes to operations, systems, and processes to deliver the strategy and to ensure legislative compliance
- Developing collaborative partnerships and supply chain relationships
- Increasing people's skills, knowledge, and capability by delivering training advice and support
- Influencing and networking, speaking and profile raising with other stakeholders in the sector
Essential and Desirable Criteria
- A background in sustainable management practices
- Significant experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Strategy development and implementation
- Low carbon solutions & carbon reduction
- Transport Management
- Property Maintenance
- Behaviour and culture change
- Environmental Sustainability
- Proficient at analysing, evaluating and reporting data and information
- Good knowledge of policy and legislative development in sustainability
- Proven ability to manage multiple competing priorities
- Ability to communicate complex topics in a simple way
- Professional membership of an environmental institute
- Environmental and sustainability data management and reporting
In return we offer
We reward our people generously with a competitive package that gives you flexible benefits to fit your lifestyle and priorities. This includes, but is not limited to, an enhanced pension scheme, discounted or full private medical, life assurance, incentive bonus. Applicable roles will benefit from a motoring expenditure allowance (MEA) and everyone can access a new generation of low carbon and electric cars via the Willmott Dixon run car leasing scheme.
At Willmott Dixon we provide an inclusive and flexible working environment for people to thrive in and we are happy to support agile working wherever possible. We are a proud member of the Disability Confident Scheme.
No recruitment agencies please.
With nearly 170 years of rich history, Willmott Dixon's purpose beyond profit is to deliver brilliant buildings, transform lives, strengthen communities, and enhance the environment so our world is fit for future generations. Ensuring that we add lasting value to the neighbourhoods we work in; our values, people, innovation, partnerships and focus on sustainability has allowed us to build a successful and trusted privately owned business where our people can thrive.
The built environment sector is changing, and we are at the forefront of that change. Pioneering new ways to build and renovate, innovating the way construction is viewed and establishing ourselves as one of the top employers in any industry. It truly is an amazing company in one of the most exciting industries with a vast array of professional career paths.
We hold two Queen's Awards for Enterprise (for Sustainable Development and Social Mobility) and hold numerous people awards, we understand everyone has a unique potential and ability to make a difference and succeed; if you want your skills developed and talent recognised, why not join our business!