Software Development Manager III
Discovery is looking for top engineering talent whose deep technical chops and problem-solving skills are matched only by their passion for design and user experience. Our team builds the user experiences for OTT applications on Web, Android, iOS, FireTV, and tvOS. If you delight in delivering high quality, fast, and efficient mobile, web, and connected device applications to millions of customers, then this is the Discovery team for you.
As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people’s curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences. The Direct 2 Consumer Group is a technology company within the Discovery brand. We are building a global streaming video platform (OTT), and a suite of applications to support all of our network’s brands globally. Our platform covers everything from search, catalogue, video transcoding, personalization, to global subscriptions, and really much more. We build user experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing to interactive learning applications. We build experiences for connected TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles for a large footprint of Discovery owned networks (Discovery, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport, Discovery Play, and many more). This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery’s future.
We are hiring software development managers to join our team in London. The ideal candidate has a track record of creating the identity for a team, and defining how that team works within a larger organization. You have mastered the ability to delegate both tasks, and larger assignments to your team, and ensure that the right results are achieved even without your constant oversight. You are a leader that people turn to when they want to build something new as you can align with company priorities and processes, and create new ones where needed.
- You understand a broad range of computer science concepts, and know how, when, and when not to use them. You can dive deep into a wide range of technical problems offering suggestions and feedback to your team. You have been an individual contributor in the past developing production software in a modern programming language in an agile environment and are well-versed in all aspects of the SDLC including requirements capture, coding standards, software design, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Given a larger business goal, you are able to facilitate ramping up of an existing, or building a new team, including estimating the needed skills and team size, defining processes, team structure, and means of collaboration.
- You have demonstrated the ability to make great hiring decisions and you are able to retain and develop the best engineers.
- You have proven experience managing geographically distributed teams and have demonstrated strong leadership and communication skills. You have a track record of establishing durable processes to manage distributed teams.
- Your written and verbal communication skills are top notch. You can distil key points out of complex technical descriptions to share with non-technical stakeholders, adapting your language and style of communication depending on the audience. You communicate through data, dates, and facts using emotion judiciously to motivate and inspire.
- Demonstrated experience with Media streaming stacks including HLS and DASH and associated technologies including media transcoding and DRM (Widevine, FairPlay, PlayReady).
- Experience delivering SDKs and reusable software platforms preferably targeting Android/iOS/Web.
Apply Share Job