About the job
We welcome applications from all communities and we don’t discriminate against any identity. We’re interested to hear from you, regardless of your background.
Reporting to: Commercial Director
Are you looking for a role that allows you to make a real strategic difference?
Do you thrive in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment?
Would you love to be a part of an organisation that affects millions of people’s lives every day?
If so, we would love to hear from you!
The UK Ship Register (UKSR) team works to promote the UK Flag worldwide to fulfil the mission to be the world’s best performing international flag. The UK Flag has been implementing a progressive strategy putting it at the centre of the fundamental changes disrupting the global maritime sector; namely decarbonisation and technological innovation. It is now able to accelerate growth through its customer-centric mindset and by continuing the development of its high-performing, commercially astute team.
We are currently in search of a new Commercial Manager that will support the growth and change with innovative thinking and clear commercial analysis. The role covers all commercial and financial management activities including costs, fees, business planning and the value offered to UK Flag customers.
This rewarding role will allow you to contribute to the Maritime & Coastguard’s Agency mission to be a world-leading organisation, accelerating the transition to sustainable shipping with non-negotiable safety standards.
Role Responsibilities include (but not limited to):
• Providing direct support to the Commercial Director of UKSR in respect of all commercial activity and financial matters.
• Providing high quality analysis of Flag performance and customer activity data to support the development of commercial strategies.
• Providing oversight of all financial management with the department.
• Being first point of contact for all finance enquiries relating to the UK flag.
• Providing challenge to the budgeting and forecasting of information supplied by teams within UKSR.
• Supporting UKMS Finance Business Partner in ensuring MCA meets if financial objectives within the wider MCA business plan.
Please see the attached Role Profile for an in-depth view of the post.
To thrive in this role, you will possess a strong knowledge of commercial activities and competent in managing budgets. Coupled with proven experience forecasting requirements and undertaking future financial planning.
We would love to hear from individual’s adept at identifying and analysing trends and cost drivers, combined with the ability and confidence to work alongside Directors and Senior Managers. The latter will be exemplified by the possession of first-class verbal, written and presentational communication qualities.
We are committed to encouraging and enabling our staff to develop in and above their role and will support you through further development opportunities/qualifications.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Seeing the Big Picture
- Making Effective Decisions
- Changing and Improving
- Communicating and Influencing
Being part of our brilliant Civil Service means you will have access to a wide range of fantastic benefits. We offer generous annual leave, attractive pension options, flexible working, inclusive working environments and much more to support a healthy work/life balance.
Find out what it's like to work at the Maritime and Coastguard Agency
As part of this position, you will have the chance to join either of the below pension schemes:
• The Alpha career average pension scheme (defined benefit). That has an annual accrual rate of 2.32% of salary and an employer contribution rate of up to 30.3% dependent upon pensionable salary. Employee contributions are also based upon your salary and contribution rates and further benefits you could receive as a Civil Servant can be found on the Civil Service Pension Website.
• We also offer an occupational pension scheme called Partnership (defined contribution). You do not have to make any payments to have a Partnership pension account as your employer will make an age related contributions of up to 14.75% (based upon your age). If you do choose to contribute, your employer will match your contributions up to a further 3% of pensionable salary. More information on the Partnership pension can be found on the Civil Service Pension Website.
Things you need to know Security
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
People working with government assets must complete basic personnel security standard checks.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours and Experience.
We are closely monitoring the situation regarding the coronavirus, and will be following central Government advice as it is issued. There is therefore a risk that recruitment to this post may be subject to change at short notice. In addition, where appropriate, you may be invited to attend a video interview.
Please continue to follow the application process as normal and ensure that you check your emails regularly as all updates from us will be sent to you this way.
As part of the application process you will be asked to complete a CV and personal statement. Further details around what this will entail are listed on the application form.
To apply for this role, you will need to provide detailed evidence of your knowledge and experience of the following sift criteria within your CV and Personal Statement:
• Able to manage budgets, experience in forecasting requirements and future financial planning
• Able to identify and analyse trends and cost drivers
• Confident in working alongside Directors and Senior Managers
The sift is due to take place from 26th October 2021.
Interviews/assessments are likely to be held w/c 11th November 2021.
We will try to meet the dates set out in the advert. There may be occasions when these dates will change. You will be provided with sufficient notice of the confirmed dates.
This vacancy is using Success Profiles. This gives us the best possible chance of finding the right person for the job, drives up performance and improves diversity and inclusivity.
The selection process will be designed specifically for the role. As a result, your assessment could include:
• an interview
• an interview with one or more exercises
• a full day of activities including interactive, written and timed exercises
You’re encouraged to become familiar with the role profile, as you may be assessed against any of the criteria recorded within.
Please see attached candidate notes for further information about our recruitment process.
If you are experiencing accessibility problems with any attachments on this advert, please contact the email address in the 'Contact point for applicants' section
To learn more about applying for a role within the Department for Transport, visit the Application Process page of our Careers website.
Before submitting your application, we encourage you to visit our Things You Need to Know page for further information about applying for a role within the Department for Transport and the Civil Service.
Throughout this job advert there are links to the DfT Careers website, which provides you further information to support your application. Should you be unable to access the information on our website, please email DRGComms@dft.gov.uk for assistance.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
This job is broadly open to the following groups:
- UK nationals
- nationals of Commonwealth countries who have the right to work in the UK
- nationals of the Republic of Ireland
- nationals from the EU, EEA or Switzerland with settled or pre-settled status or who apply for either status by the deadline of the European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS)
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals working in the Civil Service
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals who have built up the right to work in the Civil Service
- certain family members of the relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further information
Once this job has closed, the job advert will no longer be available. You may want to save a copy for your records.
Contact point for applicants Job contact : Name : Dan Vivian Email : Dan.Vivian@mcga.gov.uk Recruitment team : Email : email@example.com Further information
If you feel your application has not been treated in accordance with the Recruitment Principles and you wish to make a complaint, in the first instance, you should contact Government Recruitment Services via email: firstname.lastname@example.org If you are not satisfied with the response you receive from the Department, you can contact the Civil Service Commission: Click here (https://civilservicecommission.independent.gov.uk/) to visit Civil Service Commission
Attachments 20210825 UKSR Commercial Business Partner - Role Profile Opens in new window(docx, 53kB) Candidate Guidance for CV and Personal Statement Opens in new window(pdf, 405kB) Candidate Notes Opens in new window(pdf, 823kB)