Senior Business Development Strategy Manager, Digital Applications
Inmarsat has been at the forefront of global mobile satellite communications for over forty years, and is the market leading provider of voice and high-speed data communications for users on land, at sea and in the air through its constellation of 14 geostationary satellites. Inmarsat is a privately owned company with a profitable track record and significant growth aspirations. This is represented by more than 55 nationalities in the workforce, reflecting the global and dynamic nature of the business. With an investment of over $3 billion in its latest network infrastructure, Inmarsat is at the forefront of global mobile communications innovation.
Inmarsat’s Maritime business unit is the leader in global mobile satellite communications at sea. Thousands of vessels rely on our unrivalled end-to-end service availability and coverage for operational communications and safety services. We offer the broadest portfolio of mobile voice and data solutions on the market, so we can meet the needs of all types and size of vessel – and every budget.
Primary role purpose:
This is an outstanding opportunity to join a dynamic, successful and market-leading organization in a high profile position focused on developing innovative growth strategies to leverage the digital transformation currently happening in the Maritime Industry. The role supports the long-term business growth of the Inmarsat Maritime Business Unit, and leads a diverse portfolio of initiatives, from crew welfare and safety solutions to engagement with start-ups.
With a proven record of accomplishment in business development and a sound knowledge of maritime industry, preferably in the digital domain, the successful candidate will lead the strategy and business case development, and execution of digital innovations that add value to Inmarsat’s connectivity on board vessels. Responsibilities will include identifying innovation opportunities, creating the vision, business model and business case through research and financial modelling, leading collaboration with relevant partners, and ensuring effective coordination with relevant teams across the Inmarsat business.
Applicants will have proven successful execution experience on complex techno-commercial business opportunities, and be able to navigate the innovation ecosystem and value chain for the provision of maritime communications and related value-add applications and data driven services.
- With a proven skill set that includes entrepreneurship, adaptability and agility, support, and when appropriate lead, the development and execution of new, data driven strategic initiatives and programmes that support Inmarsat’s Maritime Business Unit growth
- Provide detailed market analysis, market requirements documents and business cases as appropriate.
- Develop detailed financial analysis that will support risk management and decision-making
- Develop the requisite market intelligence that will support informed decision-making and revenue growth.
- Lead the strategy formulation and implementation of ad hoc collaboration programmes with startups, such as open innovation challenges, in collaboration with Inmarsat’s Maritime Marketing team.
- Participate in and/or speak at international conferences, seminars and trade shows to support Inmarsat’s thought leadership, and maintain and grow a solid network throughout the industry and the satellite telecom world;
- Act as subject matter expect as and when needed to support business unit leadership
- Work as an integral part of the Maritime Business Development team, collectively responsible for the delivery of business growth, new business models, market intelligence and strategy formulation
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong experience in business and strategy development, preferably in the maritime industry
- Demonstrable ability to understand all aspects of the maritime digital transformation and the relevant challenges across vessel operators, third party application providers and other applicable stakeholders
- Ability to work independently to undertake market research, assess business models and build a business case
- Track record of building complex and multi-scenario financial models, incl. cash flow and income statements modelling
- Demonstrable curiosity for and interest in innovation ecosystems, whether in the maritime or satellite communication sector, and an understanding of how the various ecosystem participant operate
- The ability to influence others at all levels in the organisation and to work effectively under pressure in a fast pace moving environment
- Solid experience in building high-level partner relationships and proven experience of negotiating & managing commercial partner agreements
- Vision on how to achieve long sector objectives, with the presence and charisma to convince any audience of the route to success and with the ability to build strong and powerful relationships, internally and externally
- Ability to comprehend complex contexts and a natural aptitude for strategic development and implementation
- Strong presentation skills, credibility and public speaking ability
- Demonstrable track record of integrity and commercial acumen
Desirable Knowledge and Skills:
- Solid academic background (MBA preferred and/or equivalent experience of Strategy Development)
- Knowledge of satellite Communications
- Fluent in any other languages will be considered an advantage (business standard English essential)
You must be eligible to work in this location advertised.
Our values define Inmarsat’s culture and represent what we believe in. Inmarsat employees aspire to certain behaviours which support our corporate values, they create a stronger working environment and lie at the heart of our continued success as an organisation.
· Accountability – taking ownership, getting results and keeping our promises
· Respect – collaborating, embracing diversity and valuing differences
· Excellence – creating bold solutions for our customers and putting quality at the heart of everything we do