Indirect Tax Manager
Inmarsat has been at the forefront of global mobile satellite communications for over forty years, and is the market leading provider of voice and high-speed data communications for users on land, at sea and in the air through its constellation of 14 geostationary satellites. Inmarsat is a privately owned company with a profitable track record and significant growth aspirations. This is represented by more than 55 nationalities in the workforce, reflecting the global and dynamic nature of the business. With an investment of over $3 billion in its latest network infrastructure, Inmarsat is at the forefront of global mobile communications innovation.
Chief Finance Office
Inmarsat’s Chief Finance Office (CFO) processes millions of transactions a month that enable us to interact efficiently with our suppliers, customers, trading partners and regulators. We make sure that the Company is properly funded and well controlled, that our taxes are paid and that shareholders and banks continue to support our plans. Our commercial teams help ensure that the business takes sound decisions through robust planning, careful pricing, sound contracts, skilled procurement and rigorous evaluation of every major business decision.
Primary role purpose:
We are currently presenting an exciting opportunity for an Indirect Tax Compliance Manager to join our Tax team which is within the Finance Division of Inmarsat’s business. The Tax function is outward facing and proactive in its management of Inmarsat’s Indirect tax affairs.
The role will report into the Senior Indirect Tax Manager and will deal with all our Indirect Tax responsibilities in Europe, North and South America, Middle East and Asia Pacific, including managing tax audits.
The role also involves supporting the Business Units as the business develops, to ensure that new projects and initiatives are set up tax efficiently with all compliance requirements met. To achieve this, the chosen candidate will need to develop strong partnerships with each of the Business Units and other functions.
Process Improvement is key part of this role and learning the Inmarsat systems quickly is a key requirement.
- Ensure that all Inmarsat companies are compliant with their indirect tax obligations and that returns are filed accurately and on time
- Manage the indirect tax compliance outsourcing process, acting as the central point of contact for the outsource partner. Hold regular meetings with the outsource VAT controller and actively manage all relevant SLAs
- Develop and improve the existing SAP templates, queries, reports, etc. for all reporting obligations, including new ones as required.
- Business Unit partnering – the ability to be a key team person and to be able to simplify tax issues to non-tax people
- Manage new business initiatives – manage these by ensuring that these are organised in the most tax efficient way
- Look to process improvement, to look to reduce risk, make savings in cost or time
- Develop processes and training, working with other parts of the business, to ensure that tax consequencies are adequately clear so that tax issues can be advised to the team as early as possible and captured to ensure maximum efficiency and reduced exposure
- Assist the Senior Indirect Tax Manager in ensuring the tax requirements for existing and new jurisdictions are properly captured in existing financial reporting and billing systems as well as in any new systems
- Create and improve templates to efficiently capture information needed in reporting for existing filing requirements and set up new templates for new filing obligations
- Provide technical, system and process training to various other departments in the business, including Financial Operations, Procure to Pay, Accounts Payable, Procurement, Supply Chain, and Master Data, to ensure they understand what situations may have indirect tax consequences and when to talk to the tax team
- Respond to queries, including technical and system-related issues, and provide advice to other parts of the business to resolve issues related to US State Sales & Use Tax, VAT on Sales and VAT on purchases in the various jurisdictions
- Assist in responding to audits from any tax authority regarding the indirect tax returns
- Assist with research and review of the indirect tax requirements for any new jurisdictions
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong tax technical skills and experience with indirect taxes, including international VAT, US sales taxes, US Universal Service Fee;
- Experience in telecoms, technology or similar organisation would be helpful but not essential;
- Computer skills including SAP, MS Office, especially MS Excel with the ability to quickly analyse large amounts of data in various formats for reporting in the various returns;
- Demonstrate attention to detail even when under pressure
You must be eligible to work in this location advertised.
Our values define Inmarsat’s culture and represent what we believe in. Inmarsat employees aspire to certain behaviours which support our corporate values, they create a stronger working environment and lie at the heart of our continued success as an organisation.
· Accountability – taking ownership, getting results and keeping our promises
· Respect – collaborating, embracing diversity and valuing differences
· Excellence – creating bold solutions for our customers and putting quality at the heart of everything we do