Editorial Legal Advisor - remote, part time
It is a really exciting time to join the Reach family and we are now looking for an experienced Editorial Legal Advisor to join us on a part time flexible basis (Home Based). The role will be broadly 3 evenings a week, and 1 Saturday a month, working out to 95 hours per month.
The role exists to provide pre-publication legal advice across all Reach titles to journalists including the newspapers and magazines on matters such as defamation, contempt, privacy, reporting restrictions and associated issues.
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.
Key Duties will include:
- Ensuring that all Reach plc.’s editorial content complies with the law, IPSO Code, and Reach Editorial Guidelines Pre-publication advice - entails advising editors, reporters, sub-editors, desk heads, picture desks and video desks on potential legal and regulatory pitfalls in gathering and publishing information
- Supporting the Group General Counsel in the management and mitigation of legal risk across the group
- Considering and implementing continuous improvement in the execution and delivery of advice and in applying legal risk management techniques, processes and principle
- Advising editors and reporters across Reach, providing pre and post publication advice
- Advising on and, where appropriate, drafting challenges to reporting restrictions and responses to letters from solicitors acting for the subjects of potential stories
- Liaising closely with the Editorial Legal Team, Heads of Departments, Editors and Journalists, working creatively to enable the publication of information by suggesting ways of reducing or eliminating risk
Who are we looking for?
You will hold an LLB (Hons) and have a current practicing certificate as a solicitor or barrister. You will need to have strong communication skills and the ability to work to tight deadlines required in the digital publishing environment.
- 25 days holiday per annum (pro rata) when you join. After three, five and ten years’ service with Reach, you’ll accrue one additional day of annual leave
- Defined progression pathway
- Enhanced Maternity, Partner and Shared Parental Leave benefits
- Contributory pension scheme
- Share save scheme
- Simply Health Cash Plan
- A brilliant induction and learning hub
- Holiday purchase scheme
- Technology purchase scheme
- Car purchase scheme
- Discounted gym membership
- Lots of high street discounts
- Huge focus on Diversity & Inclusion. We have launched 6 networks to drive diversity at work and an inclusive environment, and to give you a voice. We hold panel events with internal and external guest speakers, and provide some really useful resources.
- Huge focus on your wellbeing. Free wellbeing apps and confidential coaching support, with access to free healthcare advice and counselling (available to your and your immediate family members who live in the same household). Some services are available 24/7 via call and live chat.