Director, Commercial and Business Management
Inmarsat has been at the forefront of global mobile satellite communications for over forty years, and is the market leading provider of voice and high-speed data communications for users on land, at sea and in the air through its constellation of 14 geostationary satellites. Inmarsat is a privately owned company with a profitable track record and significant growth aspirations. This is represented by more than 55 nationalities in the workforce, reflecting the global and dynamic nature of the business. With an investment of over $3 billion in its latest network infrastructure, Inmarsat is at the forefront of global mobile communications innovation.
Inmarsat’s Aviation business unit is the leading provider of satellite communications solutions to airlines, operators and passengers worldwide, keeping people in touch at 35,000 feet in the sky. Inmarsat provides the ultimate inflight connectivity experience for the entire aircraft, from voice and safety communications in the cockpit to high-speed, reliable broadband in the cabin.
Primary role purpose:
The purpose of this role is to lead the management of the business, commercial and financial aspects of the Aircraft Operations & Safety Business (AOS). It is essential to ensure that AOS is able to deliver on its targets and its obligations to provide accurate, timely input to the Inmarsat’s budgeting and Long Range Business Planning process, as well as in managing the commercial, pricing and contractual aspects of the AOS business. The role is key to ensuring that AOS is run effectively as a business, makes sound and well informed commercial decisions, and achieves its financial and strategic targets.
Responsible for the key AOS deliverables to the ABU, Finance and the company’s strategic and financial management processes including budget submissions, Long Range Business Plan development and submission, business cases, Transaction Review Board submissions, and Monthly Business Review.
Lead the development and compilation of the market data, market intelligence and insight necessary to inform market-driven proposals, monitor and track our market opportunities, and to derive an accurate and achievable Long Range Business Plan. Lead the process of translating the business plan into short- and mid- term actionable and measureable objectives and activities.
Define and track the measureable targets and Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for the AOS business, including financial results (revenue, operating expenses, capital expenditures), as well as leading indicators such as pipeline, activation/de-activation trends, etc. Identify variances to plan, targets and metrics on a monthly or quarterly basis and work with the AOS team to identify and implement specific corrective actions.
Manage the commercial process for the AOS team, including pricing, revenue management, and bid management. Work cross-functionally to identify, assess and review special pricing, promotions, bundles, offers, and proposals; make actionable recommendations for executive review. Act as the AOS point of contact on business cases, Transaction Review Board submissions, or similar approval and assessment processes.
Act as the AOS point of contact on new contracts, NDAs, or other commercial agreements, working cross functionally with other parts of the ABU, CPM, Legal, COO and CFO as required to ensure compliance, adherence to best practices and key stakeholder review/input; prepare appropriate materials for executive review and approval. Retain an overview of all contractual activities for AOS.
Work with key business development leads to define the overall channel expansion, partnership expansion and ecosystem strategy necessary to deliver on the growth objectives of the business. Work cross-functionally to define an implementable action plan for an expanded partnership model which is complementary to, and accretive to, the existing business and channel structure. Provide strategic input to the Connected Aircraft and emerging UAV strategies.
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
- Domain knowledge of the air transport industry, including the industry makeup, value network structure and participants, key industry drivers, legal and regulatory framework and macro trends
- Strong financial literacy, business management acumen including holistic assessment of opportunities, risks and proposals; ability to track P&L results, understand the cause of variances and identify corrective action
- Highly skilled in cross-functional teamwork, and communication with different specialists and at different organisational levels. Strong team player, team orientation and ability to maintain effective working relationships in a matrixed environment
- Demonstrated ability to produce market-driven and well informed forecasts, projections, budgets and defensible business cases
- Relevant bachelor’s degree, or equivalent; master’s degree desirable
- Commercial understanding of the satellite and aeronautical communications industry desirable
You must be eligible to work in this location advertised.
Our values define Inmarsat’s culture and represent what we believe in. Inmarsat employees aspire to certain behaviours which support our corporate values, they create a stronger working environment and lie at the heart of our continued success as an organisation.
· Accountability – taking ownership, getting results and keeping our promises
· Respect – collaborating, embracing diversity and valuing differences
· Excellence – creating bold solutions for our customers and putting quality at the heart of everything we do