Civils site engineer - Leeds or Manchester
Work with Amey on the UK's most exciting rail project! TRU is a once-in-a-generation rail upgrade programme to deliver faster, longer, more frequent and more reliable rail services across the north of England, from Newcastle, Hull and York towards Manchester and Liverpool via Leeds. By connecting the major cities of the North with an enhanced, more reliable service, it has the potential to impact the lives of thousands of passengers and support economic growth across the whole of the north of England.
Amey, in partnership with Arup, BAM and Network Rail is upgrading the route between Manchester and Leeds, which includes civils, track, railway systems and electrification. The opportunity to use modern digital signalling and train control also means we can lay the foundation for the Digital Railway.
Working with Amey on TRU is essential for anyone serious about a career in rail. You will be pioneering new techniques, using the latest technology and helping us set new standards for collaborative working.
Fundamental to living our core values is having great people in our business. That's why we believe that Amey is only as great as the people we employ. We place great value on our people and the contribution they make to our business, that's why we aim to offer a competitive benefits package to all of our employees. Working for Amey you will receive a competitive salary and will be able to join our contributory pension scheme. In addition, you will be entitled to Company sponsored life assurance and a generous holiday entitlement. You will also be invited to join Amey Choices which offers a range of flexible benefit options and offers additional benefits available throughout the year. Amey is an equal opportunities employer.
What is the purpose of this role?
Aid PM and Construction Managers as well as giving guidance to less experienced engineers on their projects. Lead site engineering and technical activities for allocated projects to facilitate conformance to the contract specification and delivery to programme timescales.
What will this role involve?
- Support the CRE on engineering activity on allocated projects including design reviews; communication and consultation with other functions over changes (design, install and test). Including interfaces with other disciplines.
- Support the CRE on the engineering resource required to deliver the project plan, and provide input to the construction phase plan, work package plan and associated task briefs proposed for the work where appropriate.
- Promote best practice and support the CRE to proactively identify resource owners additional training requirements and development opportunities.
- Dependent on the process for material allocation support the CRE to ensure engineers and construction teams are correctly ordering to meet the project programme and that an up to date material schedule is maintained for the project. Full suite of certificate of conformities and other manufacturer warranties are retained for the final health and safety file.
- Support the CRE to produce and implement an ongoing inspection and surveillance regime consistent with company standards and project requirements.
- Support the CRE to provide enough site support to the project team (Project Manager, Construction managers, site supervisors, resource providers and sub-contractors) throughout the works to ensure that critical engineering decisions can be made in a timely manner and that issues arising can be dealt with to ensure compliance with a minimum of re-work.
- Support the CRE, PM and construction managers in leading and managing the Ancillary Civils site teams
- Provide site reports and completion of construction paperwork.
- Carry out surveys, setting out and on site engineering support as directed by CRE, PM or construction manager
The ancillary Civils is one based in an office / site office / site environment. It is a requirement of the ancillary Civils to attend site on a regular basis (including night-time & weekends).
Relevant Key Processes:
- Support the CRE on leading and managing all Ancillary Civils engineering activities for their team
- Co-operating with the other engineering teams and disciplines
- Planning and implementing ANCILLARY CIVILS engineering activities
- Monitoring and improving / developing engineering competence of the team - specific to ANCILLARY CIVILS
- Assisting the CRE with engineering initiatives
- Assisting the Competence Manager with engineering competence assessments - specific to ANCILLARY CIVILS
- Support the CRE in creating or reviewing all necessary engineering site documentation (programmes, WPP, TBs etc.)
- Support the CRE in planning and implementing T&I processes - specific to ANCILLARY CIVILS
- Support the CRE to Ensure ongoing health and safety file is being completed and compliance to AMP and asset management processes are followed and adhered to.
- Support the CRE in leading the team on site and in the office (there will be a requirement to work nights, weekends and holiday periods as necessary, by negotiation).
What are we looking for?
Essential Skills, Qualifications and Training:
- Satisfy requirements of PTS medical.
- HNC (or equivalent) engineering qualification
- Site setting out skills
- ANCILLARY CIVILS Senior Engineer AtW
- Project Induction
- Essential - General ANCILLARY CIVILS engineering knowledge and experience
- Essential - ANCILLARY CIVILS construction experience on large projects
- Essential - Knowledge and experience of planning and implementing ANCILLARY CIVILS works in a wide range of circumstances and environments
- Essential - Computer literate
- Essential - Knowledge and understanding of Network Rail ANCILLARY CIVILS standards
- Essential - Valid UK driving license
- Essential - Operation and use of Leicar software (Total station)