Civils Project Manager - Leeds
Work with Amey on the UK's most exciting rail project!
TRU is a once-in-a-generation rail upgrade programme to deliver faster, longer, more frequent and more reliable rail services across the north of England, from Newcastle, Hull and York towards Manchester and Liverpool via Leeds. By connecting the major cities of the North with an enhanced, more reliable service, it has the potential to impact the lives of thousands of passengers and support economic growth across the whole of the north of England.
Amey, in partnership with Arup, BAM and Network Rail is upgrading the route between Manchester and Leeds, which includes civils, track, railway systems and electrification. The opportunity to use modern digital signalling and train control also means we can lay the foundation for the Digital Railway.
Working with Amey on TRU is essential for anyone serious about a career in rail. You will be pioneering new techniques, using the latest technology and helping us set new standards for collaborative working.
Fundamental to living our core values is having great people in our business. That's why we believe that Amey is only as great as the people we employ. We place great value on our people and the contribution they make to our business, that's why we aim to offer a competitive benefits package to all of our employees. Working for Amey you will receive a competitive salary and will be able to join our contributory pension scheme. In addition, you will be entitled to Company sponsored life assurance and a generous holiday entitlement. You will also be invited to join Amey Choices which offers a range of flexible benefit options and offers additional benefits available throughout the year. Amey is an equal opportunities employer.
What is the purpose of this role?
To build, manage and develop the Ancillary Civils scope across Project W2B for Rail Systems within the Transpire Alliance, supporting all contracts and projects on Transpire, and to achieve targets and project objectives in respect of team development and staff utilisation.
What will this role involve?
- To promote safe working practices, ensure full implementation and compliance with safety responsibility statement below.
- To deliver the Amey Essentials.
- Aligning the project(s) with the overall Amey business strategy and processes.
- Creating Project/Programme Brief, Project Initiation Document (PID),Communication Plan and Project Quality Plan
- Accountable for submitting and meeting accurate forecasts for cost and turnover achieving forecast margins for allocated contracts.
- Effectively lead and line manage the project team(s),including training, development and performance management.
- Ensure that allocated contracts are effectively planned, and progress reviewed on a weekly basis.
- Documenting critical success factors, project acceptance criteria and customer quality expectations
- Ensuring that logs are set up for managing and tracking issues, risks, decisions and lessons learned
- Overseeing quality control throughout the project cycle
- Defining products/specific deliverables to be delivered by the project
- Ensuring that the engagement of any third-party project resources is managed in accordance with Amey procedures and policies
- Planning, executing and finalising projects according to agreed deadlines and within budget
- Securing the necessary resources and coordinate the efforts of team members and third-party contractors or consultants in order to deliver projects according to plan
- Defining and managing the delivery of individual works packages
- Ensuring project compliance with Health and Safety, Environmental and other appropriate regulations
- Forecasting and monitoring the financial performance of the project, giving regular (minimum monthly) reports, comparing actual and forecast performance to plan and explaining variations
- Maintaining regular liaison with all stakeholders and employees on the progress of projects
- Identifying and monitoring project risks (threats and opportunities), planning and implementing mitigations to them, and responding to other issues that affect the project.
- Maintaining risk, issues and decisions logs and all other required project documentation
- Managing stakeholders and ensuring project solutions meet their needs where possible.
- Promoting continuous improvement of the project(s).
- Delivering the project(s) in line with the Common Safety Method (CSM) and Technical Specification of Interoperability (TSI) standards.
- Managing requests for change
- Managing, coaching and motivating members of the project team
- Preparing end stage reports
- Taking appropriate action in order to ensure that the project/programme is able to deliver to the required quality, on time and to budget
- Where appropriate, ensuring that Lean Six Sigma tools and techniques are applied to analyse data, identify root causes and generate solutions
- Coordinating and/or supporting post-project reviews
- Creating a formal Handover Plan/Control Plan to transition the ongoing ownership of project-related activities to appropriate business owners
- Documenting any relevant case studies that can be used to support future bids
- Documenting follow-on actions and recommendations
- Identifying and documenting ongoing continuous improvement opportunities
- Identifying opportunities to transfer programme deliverables/best practices to other parts of the business in order to maximise return on programme investment
- Obtaining sign off from relevant stakeholders that the project deliverables meet the stated requirements
- Preparing lessons learnt report
- Developing and implementing effective communications plans to engage with stakeholders that are impacted by change or improvement initiatives
What are we looking for?
Essential Skills, Qualifications and Training:
- Min HNC / HND in Engineering (or a similar approved qualification)
- Acceptance of Sponsorship
- Industry Common Induction
- OLEC 1
- Standard 019 Briefing
- Personal Track Safety
- D&A Screening
- SMSTS/IOSH Managing Safely
- Temporary Works Awareness
- The ability to manage and lead a team in the successful delivery of multi-disciplinary projects
- Strong interpersonal skills to influence and manage all stakeholders
- Understanding of Railway planning systems
- Environmental Awareness, including sustainability
- Railway access & Programme (P6) Awareness/Appreciation
- Quality Standards Awareness
- Risk Management Awareness
- Managing risk and opportunities
Desirable Skills, Qualifications and Training:
- NEBOSH Certificate
- Project Management Methodology Qualification
- Waste Management Awareness
- Scaffold Awareness
- Commercial, Estimating, Contract and Procurement Training
- CDM (2015) Regulations Training
- Presentation skills, collaborative working
- Lean construction and general methods/awareness
- Working at Height training