Software Development Engineer II
We are looking for top Engineering talent, whose deep technical expertise and problem- solving skills are matched only by their passion for design and user experience. Our team builds the user experiences for OTT applications on Connected Devices such as Samsung, Android TV, Xbox and Play Station. If you delight in delivering high quality, fast, and efficient Connected device applications to millions of customers, then this is the role for you.
As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people’s curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
The Direct 2 Consumer Group is a technology company within the Discovery brand. We are building a global streaming video platform (OTT), and a suite of applications to support all of our network’s brands globally. We are building modern container-based micro-services operated on AWS. Our platform covers everything from search, catalogue, video transcoding, personalization, to global subscriptions, and much more. We build user experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing to interactive learning applications. We build for connected TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles for a large footprint of Discovery-owned networks including Discovery, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport and Discovery Plus. This growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery’s future.
We are looking for a Software Development Engineer to join our team in London. As the Software Development Engineer II (Connected), you will be developing new solutions, rich customer interactions, and develop shared libraries that allow for re-use.
The successful candidate will have a track record of delivering high quality software that can be used as a base for the development of multiple consumer products. You will have a good understanding of Software architecture and modular design patterns. Very good knowledge of Unit and behavioural test approaches will also be essential.
- High proficiency with technologies on our stack including JS
- You make high impact decisions driving how and what software gets built. Your decisions are often right, and you are persuasive in delivering your suggestions and ideas to your team
- You provide guidance on design, coding, and operational best practices, and have a track-record of applying these best practices to software that you have worked on.
- You can propose and create best practices proactively where none exist.
You mentor junior engineers, overseeing their designs, code quality, and integration into a team.
- Your success is judged as much on your own productivity as on the positive impact you have on engineers around you.
Nice to haves:
- You have a proven track record of Connected application development and are able to design applications for resource constraint devices.
Experience in TV and games console development environments.