Head of Finance
- Work for Highgate Cemetery
- Lead the finance function, reporting to the CEO
About Our Client
Highgate Cemetery, opened in 1839, went into decline in the 1970s before being rescued by the Friends of Highgate Cemetery Trust. It is one of the finest Victorian cemeteries in the country, the final resting place of Karl Marx, and a Grade I registered landscape that attracts many visitors throughout the year from all over the world.
The Friends of Highgate Cemetery Trust was formed by local people who were concerned for the future of the Cemetery. Today we try to maintain the precarious balance of the appearance of romantic decay with the needs of conservation. We want this special place to be available to future generations to appreciate and value as we do.
The Trust is a registered charity and a company limited by guarantee. It has a wholly owned commercial subsidiary which manages the day-to-day operations of the Cemetery. The financial statements of the subsidiary are consolidated into those of the charity. Annual revenue is c £1.3 million per year.
- Accurate and timely monthly management reporting and forecasting of financial performance and cash balances for both entities with commentary; preparing papers for, and attending committee and trustee meetings.
- Annual statutory consolidated financial reporting, in line with charities SORP, ensuring successful audits and timely compliance with all annual returns.
- Preparing annual budgets and also for major projects and then monitoring activities and costs alongside the Chief Executive and Trustees.
- Ensure robust processes and procedures for control of cash flow, VAT and other tax, Gift Aid, GDPR, etc.
- Support the cemetery conservation project closely, including all budget monitoring, forecasting and decision making support. In addition, provide input into fundraising bids and present reporting and analysis to senior management and the trustees.
- Oversee IT strategy and work with the outsourced IT provider
- Line manage and develop the bookkeeper, monitoring their work, setting targets and carrying out appraisals.
- Work closely with staff to ensure that key processes and activities are cost-effective.
The Successful Applicant
You will be a fully qualified accountant (ACA, ACCA, CIMA or equivalent) with a strong understanding of overseeing financial management for an organisation. You will have delivered statutory reporting and will have led on overall budgeting and financial strategy.
Experience working within an organisation that receives National Lottery Heritage funding would be highly beneficial.
What's on Offer
Salary up to £60,000 plus benefits
All applications will be reviewed by Joe Harris at Michael Page, 07725036373.
Where specific UK qualifications are required we will take into account overseas equivalents. All third party applications will be forwarded to Michael Page.
Ref Code: MPWMJN1020214505591Z
Closing Date: 06/12/2021