Deputy Manager - Liverpool Street Station
We have a fantastic opportunity for a Deputy Manager to join our team in Central London to support the Store Manager.
We have a fantastic opportunity for a Deputy Manager to join our team in Central London. You will support the Store Manager with the day to day operations of the store to maximise profit through effective management of the team.
We are looking for outstanding individuals used to working to challenging business objectives and managing store budgets. You will have previous experience of managing performance, from appraisals through to disciplinaries.
Our Travel business operates from over 740 units in airports, railway stations, motorway service areas, hospitals, bus stations and workplaces. The environment isn’t for everyone as the stores tend to be more compact, have a higher footfall and some of our airport stores are open from 5am to 11pm. This can make for an intense and very exciting trading environment.
• Deputise for Store Manager in their absence
• Create a customer service led culture which is always striving to improve performance
• Ensure all staff deliver a professional, friendly service to all customers
• Ensure store is fully compliant with pricing, promotions, legislation and landlord agreements
• Work closely with the Store Manager to identify cost saving measures and sales opportunities through analysis of the profit &loss statement
• Drive the team to achieve both individual and store targets including sales, shrink, waste, cash loss and staff costs
• Work with the management team to maximise opportunities to drive sales and increase footfall
• Support the Store Manager with employee lifecycle from recruitment to appraisals, training and disciplinary procedures
• Play an active role on the shop floor with the sales team
• Build and maintain strong relationships with the outlet landlords, working closely with them to resolve any problems that may arise
• Proven retail experience in a management role
• Working knowledge of profit & loss accounts
• Previous experience of working to and achieving demanding targets within tight budgets
• Experience in supporting delivery of store objectives, including maximising sales and controlling shrink
• Coach and mentor the team to improve performance
• Leading by example on the shop floor, setting high standards for your team
Develop and Progress with Us
As an employee of WHSmith you will have the unique opportunity to undertake ‘work based learning’ training programmes which will enable you to gain a Nationally Recognised Qualification. WHSmith work in partnership with Lifetime to develop the knowledge and skills needed to move your career forward within our stores.
Why Join us?
WHSmith is a household name as we have been established for over 200 years. Our company has grown from strength to strength and we now have over 615 high street stores and over 740 travel outlets at airports, train stations, hospitals and motorway service areas across the UK plus an online store; www.whsmith.co.uk .
Year on year we announce a strong set of financial results and have shown good profit performance across the Group in a challenging trading environment. In return for all your hard work and commitment you will receive comprehensive training and on-going support from your Area Manager. In addition to this, our excellent benefits package includes; 25 days holiday, generous staff discount* and annual performance related bonus*.
It all adds up to excellent career opportunities and the chance make a real impact on the Company's success. If successful, candidates will be required to obtain a valid passport, undertake a criminal record check and provide 5 years of continuous educational, professional or employment references. Due to the high number of applications we receive, it is with regret that we are unable to respond to all applications and therefore will only contact short listed candidates.
*after initial qualifying period.
“WHSmith values diversity and welcomes applications from all sections of the Community”