Senior Software Developer
About the job Summary
Salary: National £37,803 to £42,991 and London £42,466 to £47,411
Are you someone who has experience in developing cloud-based solutions?
Do you thrive working within a fast-paced environment?
Would you like the opportunity to contribute to a wide range of exciting software development projects?
If so, we would love to hear from you!
We are looking for expert Senior Software Developers to join our accomplished Project Delivery team embedded into the Department for Transports Digital Service.
The workload for this role is diverse and interesting, with many opportunities to transform your own knowledge, experience and ideas into the design and implementation of a new software development service.
The Digital Service mission is to equip everyone working in the Department for Transport to use digital, data and technology with confidence, ambition and creativity. The Project Delivery team confidently and creatively delivers change projects to the Department, in line with the ambitious Digital Service Vision and Mission.
This role will lead the technical design, development and delivery of digital solutions, services and interfaces, applying agile software development approaches, within a multidisciplinary team to new services. You will be part of a professional community of software developers, data engineers and dev-ops engineers. You will work within in-house teams or blended teams, with colleagues from partner organisations.
includes, but not limited to;
• You will lead by example in the application of development techniques, such as agile, DevOps, test driven development and continuous integration.
• Collaborate with colleagues within a software development project, including other software developers, delivery managers, business analysts, user researchers, user experience designers/ UCD specialists, architects, security colleagues, digital business partners, change managers and data engineers.
• Managing a joined-up team of software developers that are allocated to software development projects.
• Research on software development for the adoption of best practices and new approaches.
• Apply standards, methods and tools for software development within DfT, including software development lifecycle management.
• Bring experience of providing application support under a DevOps approach on a rotation basis including out of hours, to resolve application related issues if required
If you are the ideal candidate for this position, you will be proactive, detail-oriented, and have extensive experience developing cloud-based applications within an Agile Delivery Framework. Experience applying a modern, standard approach to automation and testing, as well as guiding others on how to use the correct standard and practices. You have demonstrable capability in designing, creating, testing, and documenting new and amended software components from specifications, while adhering to agreed development and security processes. Having demonstrated experience designing technically complex and secure information systems, you’re passionate about mentoring and coaching junior resources within a team environment. Your experience will include working with multiple languages, such as #.Net Framework, Python, HTML, CSS, TDD, BDD, MS SQL, and MySQL.
DfT: Digital Service
Find out more about what it's like working at DfT: Digital Service
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Managing a Quality Service
- Delivering at Pace
- Communicating and Influencing
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- DDaT - Senior Software Developer - Development Process Optimisation
- DDaT - Senior Software Developer - Modern Standards approach
- DDaT - Senior Software Developer - Programming and build (Software Engineering)
- DDaT - Senior Software Developer - Service Support
- DDaT - Senior Software Developer - Systems Integration
- DDaT - Senior Software Developer - User Focus
Being part of our brilliant Civil Service means you will have access to a wide range of fantastic benefits. We offer generous annual leave, attractive pension options, flexible working, inclusive working environments and much more to support a healthy work/life balance.
Find out more about what it's like working at the Department for Transport
Things you need to know Security
People working with government assets must complete basic personnel security standard checks.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours, Experience and Technical skills.
We are closely monitoring the situation regarding the coronavirus, and will be following central Government advice as it is issued. There is therefore a risk that recruitment to this post may be subject to change at short notice. In addition, where appropriate, you may be invited to attend a video interview.
Please continue to follow the application process as normal and ensure that you check your emails regularly as all updates from us will be sent to you this way.
How to Apply
As part of the application process you will be asked to complete a CV and personal statement. Further details around what this will entail are listed on the application form.
When considering applying please look at how your experience relates to the role, and within your CV and Personal Statement please provide detailed evidence of your experience of the following:
• Proven experience of developing cloud-based solutions within an Agile Delivery Framework.
• Net Framework, Python, HTML, CSS, TDD, BDD, MS SQL, MySQL.
• Evidence of utilising a modern standard approach through automation and testing and coaching others to apply the most appropriate standards and practices as well.
• Demonstrate experience of designing, creating, testing and documenting new and amended software components from supplied specifications in line with agreed development and security standards and processes.
• Proven experience of designing technically complex and secure information systems to meet defined business needs.
• Experience of coaching and mentoring junior resources within a team environment.
• Appreciation of cloud architectures.
The Senior Software Developer role is part of the DDaT profession and attracts an enhanced pay scale which is mapped to capability levels. The successful candidates starting salary will be determined by performance at interview and assessed capability level. There are two components to DDaT pay - base pay and DDaT allowance.
Sift & Interview Dates
The sift is due to take place w/c 13th December 2021.
Interviews are due to take place w/c 3rd January 2022.
This interview could be conducted via a video interview, details of which will be provided to you should you be selected for interview.
We will try to meet the dates set out in the advert. There may be occasions when these dates will change. You will be provided with sufficient notice of the confirmed dates.
The selection process will be designed specifically for the role. As a result, your assessment could include:
• an interview
• an interview and a technical exercise (eg presentation, written, or coding exercise etc)
• a full day of activities including interactive, written and timed exercises
You’re encouraged to become familiar with the role profile, as you may be assessed against any of the criteria recorded within.
The Department for Transport alongside other Government Departments recruit using Success Profiles. This means for each role we consider what you will need to demonstrate in order to be successful. This gives us the best possible chance of finding the right person for the job, drives up performance and improves diversity and inclusivity.
For further information on Success Profiles visit our Careers website
If you are experiencing accessibility problems with any attachments on this advert, please contact the email address in the 'Contact point for applicants' section.
To learn more about applying for a role within the Department for Transport, visit the Application Process page of our Careers website.
Before submitting your application, we encourage you to visit our Things You Need to Know page for further information about applying for a role within the Department for Transport and the Civil Service.
Throughout this job advert there are links to the DfT Careers website, which provides you further information to support your application. Should you be unable to access the information on our website, please email DRGComms@dft.gov.uk for assistance.
We recognise the challenges that people with (multiple) protected characteristics may experience on the job market and in their career progression. We are fully committed to being an inclusive employer and ensuring equal opportunities. We are keen to make our workforce as diverse as possible, and we hope to attract applications from underrepresented groups, including Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) people, people with a disability, and people with gender diverse identities.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
This job is broadly open to the following groups:
- UK nationals
- nationals of Commonwealth countries who have the right to work in the UK
- nationals of the Republic of Ireland
- nationals from the EU, EEA or Switzerland with settled or pre-settled status or who apply for either status by the deadline of the European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS)
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals working in the Civil Service
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals who have built up the right to work in the Civil Service
- certain family members of the relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further information
Once this job has closed, the job advert will no longer be available. You may want to save a copy for your records.
Contact point for applicants Job contact : Name : Digital Resourcing Team Email : firstname.lastname@example.org Recruitment team : Email : email@example.com Further information
If you feel your application has not been treated in accordance with the Recruitment Principles and you wish to make a complaint, in the first instance, you should contact Government Recruitment Services via email: firstname.lastname@example.org If you are not satisfied with the response you receive from the Department, you can contact the Civil Service Commission: Visit the Civil Service Commission website at https://civilservicecommission.independent.gov.uk