Internal Communications Lead
About the job
We welcome applications from all communities and we don’t discriminate against any identity. We’re interested to hear from you, regardless of your background.
Are you a creative communications professional?
Do you have a passion for delivering high quality communications?
Would you like the opportunity to develop and implement a wide-ranging internal communications strategy?
If so, we’d love to hear from you!
The Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) are looking for an internal communications lead to join their busy and diverse Communications branch.
The Communications Branch is responsible for all internal and external communications activities, and works closely with internal stakeholders to engage and inform over 1,300 staff located across the UK.
You will drive internal communications within the MCA, working proactively keep staff informed and engaged with the agency’s strategy, values and activity across the different business areas.
This is an exciting opportunity to gain exposure to the wider MCA community and work with a range of stakeholders at all levels. This is a distinctive role where no two days are the same and you will relish the variety that this role will bring.
Your responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Drive and deliver the MCA's internal communication strategy, supporting activity to engage, inspire and inform staff. Review existing strategy and activity and lead on developing/improving.
• Lead advisor for all internal communications staff project requirements and general queries.
• Develop, co-ordinate and regularly evaluate delivery of high-quality content and long-range, proactive, multi-channel campaigns using relevant multimedia (copywriting, video, photography, infographics, posters, and blogs) for internal channels.
• Act as content owner for the staff intranet communications portal (on SharePoint) and oversee the day-to-day operation ensuring that all business areas are represented and that teams are responsible in managing their presence on the intranet.
• Develop and maintain excellent relationships with MCA colleagues, including the MCA Senior Leadership Team, Human Resources, Information Technology, and other internal stakeholders, to ensure the delivery of high-quality messages.
• Support senior leaders on an ongoing basis to deliver engaging staff events, videos and regular messaging, to communicate key MCA projects, internal business plans and culture charter.
For further information, please see the attached Role Profile.
You are an inventive internal communications professional with experience of delivering against a clear strategy. You are comfortable using best practice, campaigns and the most effective channels. Knowledge of accessibility standards and best practice working with user-centered content is essential for this role.
We are looking for someone who is a natural communicator with excellent verbal and written skills. With a real passion for building fantastic and engaging content. First-class writing skills are paramount to this role and the ability to turn around communications and responses to tight deadlines.
You will have good attention to detail and take pride in producing work to a high standard. Proven IT skills are essential, in particular InDesign and Photoshop software. You will have an interest in digital content and experience of working with content management systems.
Being someone who naturally enjoys working collaboratively with different business areas, you can build rapport quickly with both internal and external stakeholders. This enables you to build solid working relationships and demonstrate an understanding of your audience and how to communicate with impact across the business.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Seeing the Big Picture
- Communicating and Influencing
- Working Together
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- GCS Framework - Internal Communications - Ideas - Level 3
- GCS Framework - Internal Communications - Implementation - Level 3
Being part of our brilliant Civil Service means you will have access to a wide range of fantastic benefits. We offer generous annual leave, attractive pension options, flexible working, inclusive working environments and much more to support a healthy work/life balance.