Head of Sustainability & Responsibility
Pernod Ricard is a leading company in the global wines and spirits industry. We hold one of the most prestigious brand portfolios in the drinks sector, including 19 brands among the worldwide top 100. Our key brands in the UK include ABSOLUT vodka, Jameson Irish Whiskey, Beefeater and Plymouth Gins, The Glenlivet Scotch whisky, Havana Club rum, Malibu rum, Chivas Regal Scotch whisky, Perrier-Jouët champagne and our premium wine brands Brancott Estate, Campo Viejo and Jacob’s Creek.
In the UK, Pernod Ricard is comprised of 3 affiliates: Pernod Ricard UK which sells and distributes our products in the UK market; Pernod Ricard Global Travel Retail, the global HQ of the group’s duty free, air travel and cruises business; and Chivas Brothers - the largest brand company in the Group, responsible for the production and management of our award-winning Scotch whisky portfolio.
This position manages the Sustainability & Responsibility (S&R) agenda for our Chivas Brothers business. Chivas Brothers is the UK’s No.2 Scotch whisky producer. Its 1,600-strong team across 27 sites is committed to upholding the heritage of Scotch and ensuring its sustainable future, as well as opening it up to new audiences across the globe
About the team
Sustainability & Responsibility is one of the Pernod Ricard group’s four key drivers and is embedded in our strategic business plan. Our S&R roadmap is based on four key pillars that address all aspects of our products' life cycle, ‘from grain to glass’, with clear 2030 objectives supporting the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. These are: Nurturing Terroir, Circular Making, Valuing People and Responsible Hosting.
Our business has a firm commitment to S&R and this position will be responsible for evolving our S&R strategy and delivering this in conjunction with the wider business.
This position reports into our Deputy Director of S&R and manages one direct report.
You will have three main areas of responsibility:
- Setting, tracking and periodically evolving the Chivas Brothers sustainability strategy in line with business, Group, industrial and cultural developments
- Working with a broad group of stakeholders across the business (in particular, Production, Manufacturing, Marketing and HR) to galvanise action and ensure delivery against the S&R roadmap
- Collaborating with Marketing teams to advance the Brand Positive Impact agenda, ensuring our flagship brands act with purpose and creating action plans to drive positive, lasting change in priority areas
- Engineering action above & beyond the roadmaps to drive positive impact and build Chivas Brothers’ reputation in this space
Employee Engagement and Activities
- Overseeing the delivery of our flagship employee S&R initiatives designed to drive internal engagement with S&R (The Good Challenge: our employee S&R ideas competition; Responsib’All Day)
- Leading the activation of our internal Diversity & Inclusion Council and associated initiatives together with the Culture & Internal Comms team and HR.
- Overseeing our Sustainable Office Committee to ensure our sites are as environmentally-friendly as possible
- Overseeing the running and evolution of employee volunteering and fundraising initiatives such as Chivas SOS and the Chivas Bursary
- Assessing & signing off on community projects relevant to our sites and business
- Assessing & implementing corporate sponsorships/ partnerships that are a good fit with our business and S&R agenda, including our Charity of Choice
- Overseeing and proposing initiatives that our External Communications team can shape and communicate to drive Chivas Brothers’ S&R credentials with media, influencers and political and industry stakeholders
Your main stakeholders across the business will be in Public Affairs, Production, Manufacturing, Marketing, HR, your colleagues within the Communications team and the S&R Manager who will be reporting to you. Externally, you will interface with key partners in our S&R journey, such as charitable organisations, consultancies and industry bodies.
What you need
This position could be right for you if you:
- Have an excellent track-record in leading the S&R agenda within a similar organisation and making organisations more Sustainable and Responsible
- Can show when you have taken an innovative or forward-thinking approach to S&R
- Are confident and experienced in managing S&R projects
- Can create high levels of internal employee engagement on S&R topics
- Can show how you would partner with our consumer brands in their S&R journey
- Possess the right soft-skills and professional credibility which allow you to explain, influence and lead decision making when it comes to Sustainability
- Are comfortable working with a wide range of stakeholders, both internal and external
At Pernod Ricard, we want to build an inclusive organisational culture, where everyone feels welcome. We are ‘créateurs de convivialité’, and conviviality can only thrive when we embrace our differences. For us, inclusion is all about respect, ethics and mutual trust: living a culture that encourages openness, cooperation, transparent communications and which ensures a work environment that is fun, contemporary, relevant, and responsible. A culture where we can truly be ourselves.
We will assess your application for this role based on your skills, experiences and achievements, not your gender, age, ethnic or educational background or any other such factors. Please feel free to leave these off your CV and application form if you so wish. Similarly, if you would like to discuss opportunities for flexible working, please let us know in your application.