Software Development Engineer II
Discovery is looking for top engineering talent whose deep technical chops and problem-solving skills are matched only by their passion for design and user experience. Our team builds the user experiences for OTT applications on Web, Android, FireTV, iOS, tvOS, Roku & Connected TVs. If you delight in delivering high quality, fast, and efficient mobile, web, and connected TVs applications to millions of customers, then this is the Discovery team for you.
As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people’s curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
We are the Product Engineering technology group for Direct-2-Consumer business, and are responsible for building media streaming Mobile & OTT applications . Backed up by modern container-based microservices operated on AWS, our front-end applications build mobile experiences for search, catalogue, video streaming, personalization, subscriptions, payments, and really much more. This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery’s future.
- Build product features in close collaboration with product and business mandates
- Contribute to the feature roadmap of the Android ecosystem of devices
- Advocate best practices for App development and also lay down best coding practices
- Work with internal and external stakeholders in developing and designing the app and other platforms which support Android like Amazon Fire TV Stick and Android TV.
- Initiate, lead and execute work on proof of concepts and help identify the ways to scale/integrate them in the app
- Own all aspects of the product development from concept, and drive it through development, testing, acceptance, adoption and iterative changes
- Carry out engineering development with a strong focus on error handling, performance monitoring and metrics across the app. Some of the key metrics are Performance Uptime, Re-Buffering rates, Time Spent on the app, App Store Rating among other measures of product stability and excellence.
- 4-6 years of experience in building direct to consumer products of scale (experience in Video/OTT apps will be highly appreciated)
- Hands-on experience in building native mobile applications and mobility solutions
- Sound understanding of Android Architecture, Framework, Android SDK, Core Java, Android Studio IDE, Android Debugger, Android Open Source
- Keen eye towards optimizing the application for performance improvements, like enhanced memory management
- Good understanding of the basic components of Android: Activity, Services, Intent, Broadcast Receiver, Content Provider
- Good understanding of UI components & controls; Action Bars, Widgets, Fragments etc
Familiar with Web Service Integration (REST, JSON) and REST concepts
- Clear and contagious passion for product and consumer needs
- Proven track record of working on successful mobile products
- High energy and positive attitude
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills