Director, Strategic & Globally Managed Accounts
Inmarsat has been at the forefront of global mobile satellite communications for forty years and is the market-leading provider of voice and high-speed data communications for users on land, at sea and in the air through its constellation of 14 geostationary satellites. Inmarsat is a privately owned company with a profitable record of accomplishment and significant growth aspirations. More than 55 nationalities in the workforce reflect the global and dynamic nature of the business. With an investment of over $3 billion in its latest network infrastructure, Inmarsat is at the forefront of global mobile communications innovation.
Inmarsat leverages a combination of direct sales and indirect sales via strategic channel partners to deliver our market-leading services to land, sea, air, and government customers globally. We are seeking to appoint a Director, Strategic and Globally Managed Accounts to support our Global Account Managers who lead partner relationships where we have partners working across multiple business units, in multiple geographies. The appointee will be responsible for coordinating and collaborating cross-functionally to ensure we bring the best of Inmarsat to our most strategic and high value accounts. The appointee will support a matrix team of between 10-20 global account managers to deliver growth, both for Inmarsat and for our partners, and be accountable to the GAM Steerco, which is made up of BU VPs.
The appointee to this post will hold matrix sales responsibility for a minimum of eight global partner accounts, representing >$250m annual revenue.
Specifically, the appointee will be directly responsible for:
- Global Account sales reporting (setting up, preparing and executing monthly reviews on key metrics and pipeline);
- Global Account sales incentives, (establishing and reporting against GAM sales incentive targets, including review and approval of quarterly sales incentive payments for global account managers, in conjunction with Group Reward / HR);
- Global Account operating cadence (setting up, preparing and executing Steering Committee reviews per the GAM operating cadence, including bi-annual reviews with Group CEO);
- Global Account matrix interlock (supporting individual global account managers to align resources across central functions COO/CPM in response to global account escalations);
- Global Account on-boarding / demotion (appointment of new global accounts – including identification and appointment of GAM roles - and/or demotion of global accounts following annual reviews);
- Global Account financial outcomes (the appointee would be on SIS, targeted on total revenues aligned to all GAM accounts (Group level).
In addition, the appointee will have matrix responsibility for:
Sales & Business Development – Globally Managed Accounts
- Provide counsel and guidance for all Global Account Managers to ensure they meet or exceed commercial sales and revenue targets.
- Support development of global account plans in collaboration with global account managers - track and report on key channel metrics for each account in the managers portfolio, specifically:
- Sales pipeline (in Salesforce)
- Revenue against budget
- New business objectives
- Debt and credit evolution
- Promote Inmarsat Portfolio to Inmarsat partners, their customers and prospects.
- Represent Inmarsat in regional partner and customer meetings.
- Coordinate and support global account managers to develop and maintain detailed sales pipeline, ensuring full alignment with business unit P&L owners as appropriate.
- Own and develop Inmarsat global partner incentives to ensure they remain fit-for-purpose and deliver maximum financial benefit.
- Own and develop Inmarsat Global accreditation program.
- Ensure that Inmarsat delivers high standards of customer experience / satisfaction as measured via corporate CSAT & NPS measures.
- Proactively build and lead cross-functional teams to support global account priorities and deliver positive commercial outcomes for both partners and for Inmarsat in collaboration with market-facing business unit sales leads
- CRM management (using Salesforce), including developing a detailed stakeholder map and engagement strategy for each global account.
- Compile timely and accurate reporting using the correct formats to facilitate growth.
Own Global Account Management program strategy & development
- Report progress to Inmarsat CEO and Executive quarterly.
- Act as single point of contact internally for Globally Managed Accounts.
- Collaborate with partners and internally to build and sign off joint business plans informed by the partners’ own business strategy and aligned to pan-Inmarsat LRBP growth objectives.
- Prospect for new global partnerships and/or demote globally managed partners where performance and financial outcomes do not warrant or justify GAM focus.
- Contribute to pan-BU sector development and Inmarsat Corporate regional plans as part of the annual planning cycle.
Industry Representation & Marketing
- Help to raise the profile of Inmarsat and build share of wallet with key accounts.
- Represent Inmarsat at industry trade shows and conferences, in coordination with sales business unit marketing leads and CMCO.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor / Master’s Degree in Business, IT, Telecommunications or equivalent
- Proven experience in B2B sales leadership, specifically leading quota-based sales teams
- Proven experience building effective executive level commercial relationships
- Proven experience driving revenue growth via indirect partnerships
- Proven experience with solution-based / strategic selling methodology
- Proven sales execution, as measured through delivery of multi-million revenue targets
- Proved record negotiating and closing complex deals
- Proven ability to create new business, thinking creatively to identify new opportunities
- Proven experience working in matrixed organizations, navigating internal barriers and collaborating cross-functionally to influence desired outcomes
- Satcom portfolio and/or sector knowledge, with existing C-level relationships preferable.
- c.5-10 years’ experience in a similar senior Director-level sales position, preferably within the satellite communications or telecommunications industry
- Fluent in English (additional languages considered favourably).
- Natural leader / motivator
- Eager to sell / hunter mentality
- Strong work ethic, independent ‘self-starter’ – comfortable working remotely
- Excellent analytical skills, competent with Excel, PowerPoint, Salesforce and Tableau
- Open to new technology and a quick learner
- Team player with good interpersonal and communication skills, social and outgoing
- Confident and comfortable travelling globally (up to 40% as needed)
- International network and cross-cultural understanding are an advantage
Our values define Inmarsat’s culture and represent what we believe in. Inmarsat employees aspire to certain behaviours which support our corporate values, they create a stronger working environment and lie at the heart of our continued success as an organisation.
- Accountability – taking ownership, getting results and keeping our promises
- Respect – collaborating, embracing diversity and valuing differences
- Excellence – creating bold solutions for our customers and putting quality at the heard of everything we do