Interim Product Strategy Consultant
Inmarsat has been at the forefront of global mobile satellite communications for over forty years, and is the market leading provider of voice and high-speed data communications for users on land, at sea and in the air through its constellation of 14 geostationary satellites. Inmarsat is a privately owned company with a profitable track record and significant growth aspirations. This is represented by more than 55 nationalities in the workforce, reflecting the global and dynamic nature of the business. With an investment of over $3 billion in its latest network infrastructure, Inmarsat is at the forefront of global mobile communications innovation.
Commercial and Product Management
Inmarsat’s Commercial & Product Management (CPM) group is accountable for ensuring the voice of the customer is heard and used in all aspects of defining our offer. Coupling customer insight with market intelligence, this informs our product strategy, our channel strategy and our commercial offer. In addition, it helps us support the business to win, grow and retain customers as well as allowing us to be clearer on how we will partner with other players who can create value, and why partnering and working with Inmarsat is valuable to them. CPM also focuses on how to develop, deliver and maintain the right products and services to be competitive, ensuring our costs to serve are optimised and reducing complexity.
- The role will assess markets and identify opportunities within them that are aligned to Inmarsat’s strategy. The opportunities will then be scoped during feasibility work before an outline proposition is built.
- Develop business case to CEO/CFO.
- Define the technical proposition being proposed in Exec language (based on tech team input)
- develop the plans to commercialise the solution
- Coordinate across the BUs/central teams to create the high level business case
- Engage stakeholders to get agreement with business case
- Engage with BUs and CPM to understand the market opportunities related to the propositions. Objectively assess their likely market success given the competitive environment.
- Engage with customers and Partners through insight team work and directly to determine the attractiveness of propositions
- Build a proposition description
- Coordinating across central teams and BUs to establish a programme of work and supporting the execution of that work
- Define an outline programme of work which will be handed onto to Commercial, Product and Delivery teams for implementation
Essential knowledge and skills
- Ability to develop a business case
- Satellite or telco background preferable. Networking knowledge desirable.
- Skilled at financial and commercial modelling in Excel
- Ideally ex strategy consultant for the following skills sets and characteristics: hypothesis led, able to manage projects within an organisation/influence others (without hierarchical authority), able to work to tight timescales, ability to define a problem and then structure a path to a solution.
- Excellent written and presentational skills
- Ability to summarise lengthy information into Executive bullet points
- Commercial experience i.e. able to quickly hone in on the constituents of commercial success/failure
- Expected to work under tight timescales
You must be eligible to work in this location advertised. This is an interim role for 3 months initially, although could potentially be longer if required.
Our values define Inmarsat’s culture and represent what we believe in. Inmarsat employees aspire to certain behaviours which support our corporate values, they create a stronger working environment and lie at the heart of our continued success as an organisation.
- Accountability – taking ownership, getting results and keeping our promises
- Respect – collaborating, embracing diversity and valuing differences
- Excellence – creating bold solutions for our customers and putting quality at the heart of everything we do