Software Engineer in Test
Inmarsat has been at the forefront of global mobile satellite communications for over forty years, and is the market leading provider of voice and high-speed data communications for users on land, at sea and in the air through its constellation of 14 geostationary satellites. Inmarsat is a privately owned company with a profitable track record and significant growth aspirations. This is represented by more than 55 nationalities in the workforce, reflecting the global and dynamic nature of the business. With an investment of over $3 billion in its latest network infrastructure, Inmarsat is at the forefront of global mobile communications innovation.
Chief Technology Office
Inmarsat’s Chief Technology Office (CTO) business unit sits at the core of our business and focuses on innovative technology development and engineering. The CTO maintains a centre of excellence for technology and broader infrastructure-related innovation, translating market needs into core expansion programmes to enable market development. We ensure that Inmarsat’s products and services are constantly pushing the boundaries of satellite communications. The CTO team is responsible for delivering Inmarsat development programmes, including satellites and launchers, ground infrastructure (ground stations, networks, user terminals and access technology), regulatory, market access and product and service development.
Primary role purpose:
Working within the CTO division and as part of the Platform Engineering department, the successful candidate is required to initially work on key Inmarsat Edge device, which is a platform to manage RF layer failover, host 3rd party applications, and maintain secure communications between the shore and edge via satellite link. The position will also require test support of data centre-based application both on-premises and in AWS Cloud as well as services will be deployed to and edge device over a satellite link.
The successful candidate will be required to work in a collaborative agile scrum team environment delivering and maintaining automated tests as part of our CI/CD pipeline working autonomously and on own initiative. They will understand, interpret and adopt new technical information rapidly. They must have a demonstrable interest in new technologies and product innovation, and a practical understanding of the technology development lifecycle and be able to participate at the appropriate point in a matrix development process. They will need to build and maintain peer relationships across teams within CTO and across wider Inmarsat business units.
- Development of end to end test automation scripts in Gherkin/Cucumber and Python/TestInfra with the goal of accelerating our release cycles.
- Day to day management of test failures driving the success rate upwards.
- Supporting tests across development, QA and production environments.
- Able to support “Testing as Monitoring” by developing tests as docker containers.
- Ensure test documentation is up to date and visible.
- Work as part of an Agile scrum team.
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
- A Bachelor degree or equivalent in relevant science or technology field
- Relevant industry experience
- Centos / Ubuntu distributions
- Cloud based systems and technology
- C++ / Python
- Docker Containers
- Jenkins / CircleCI
- JIRA, Confluence
- Experience building tests for REST APIs
Comprehensive experience and demonstrated expert knowledge in:
- An understanding of Agile development
- Knowledge of Object Oriented Programming
- Familiarity working with automated testing frameworks (Cucumber, Gherkin)
- Use of Swagger / OpenAPI for defining APIs;
- Excellent self and team awareness skills to guide interactions to the most positive outcomes.
- Able to drive an ad hoc team to the correct conclusions, even if individual members arrive with pre-conceived notions contrary to that conclusion.
Desirable Knowledge and Skills:
- Alpine Linux
- Knowledge of AWS
- Knowledge of networking concepts
You must be eligible to work in this location advertised.
Our values define Inmarsat’s culture and represent what we believe in. Inmarsat employees aspire to certain behaviours which support our corporate values, they create a stronger working environment and lie at the heart of our continued success as an organisation.
- Customer – Providing a unique value to our customers
- Accountability – taking ownership, getting results and keeping our promises
- Respect – collaborating, embracing diversity and valuing differences
- Excellence – creating bold solutions for our customers and putting quality at the heart of everything we do