Freelancing and NI contributions: ask the expert

I am currently on the payroll part time at one company, so paying national insurance contributions off my wages. However, when I started to do more freelance work in addition to this employment, I registered as self-employed to and set up my own national insurance contributions. I think this means I am paying twice. How to I sort out what I should be paying across the whole of my income?

Be assured, you are unlikely to be paying National Insurance contributions twice. You are paying Class I for your employment and Class II & IV for your self-employment.

However, this situation depends upon exactly how much you are earning and you do need to be aware that there is a cap on contributions an individual is required to make.

The best way to ensure that you are not over-paying is by filling in the relevant NIC form (you can download it from the Inland Revenue website –, sending it to the Inland Revenue and they will calculate it all for you.

If you would like further help with this, please feel free to contact me.

Post a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *